Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

27x
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:36 pm
What is time?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:19 pm
Dude I can't believe not one person wants to talk about this.  

27x
Crew

AbrAbraxas
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:53 am
from the standard perspective, time is the linear unfolding of events. but im sure that you are fishing for something that you can argue against so i would say that time is a matter of perspective, perhaps even an illusion. All that we can prove is that here & now exists and that there once were other nows that are now no longer here. so the past is a memory and the future is imagined.
if you really get into quantum physics there are other implications of the questioning of time.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:32 pm
NO man I just want to know what you think about time.  

27x
Crew

AbrAbraxas
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:05 pm
argument done well is the essence of philosophy.
dont take it personally.
what do you think about what i think?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:05 am
I make a clear distinction between the clock and time. They are related, but not the same. The clock puts time into bars, standards, and counts those bars. It's a gauge. Just as thermometer is not the heat, but only its interpretation.

Time..

I think that it is just as much linear as it is circular.

The earth spins around making day and night and revolves around the sun creating seasons. This is the pattern we go by. It is within this repitition that progress can occur. The day after day cycle is responsible for life evolving on the planet. Because there is a certainty of a following day, we can change, evolve and continue. Every cycle is new, continuing on to the next, but is one constant movement even though we see it in phases. The cycle and the timeline exist within eachother.. They are perfectly balanced, one and the same.  

Necera

AbrAbraxas
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:36 pm
being a part of a cycle every now is somehow related to a previous now and sets patterns for future nows  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:02 pm
I believe time is like a one way buss. It's boring unless you destract yourself. YOu can't go back so enjoy the scenery.  

27x
Crew

AbrAbraxas
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:26 am
perhaps there is something to time travel besides distraction or escape from boredom?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:01 pm
Without hope for the future, and the acceptence of the past, there is no present. I think they are all one.

I used to be very centered on the Now. It is where future and present exist, but they must be acknowledged as interdependent.

Also.. an interesting thought.. our senses lag a tiny moment, so we percieve now a nanosecond after it actually happened. So.. when is now?
I thought that was a funny thought.. smile  

Necera

27x
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:54 pm
AbrAbraxas
perhaps there is something to time travel besides distraction or escape from boredom?

I have the ability to travel through time, except I can only go forward at normal speed.

BEsides bordem is a choice. You're only bored if you decide nothing you do will entertain you.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:04 pm
Quote:
Also.. an interesting thought.. our senses lag a tiny moment, so we percieve now a nanosecond after it actually happened. So.. when is now?
I thought that was a funny thought.

Well, now is now. The time lag doesn't change what is happening now, it only changes what we perceive now, and unless you want to argue that things don't happen unless they are perceived then you would have to say that it is always now, we are just doomed to continually experience the past. Kind of like looking out into space with a telescope. We can never really know what is going on out there right now, we can just know what happened previously.  

khuan

AbrAbraxas
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:33 am
what about changes in the perception of time? you know like "time flies when your having fun" or time in school seems to creep by.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:49 am
khuan
Quote:
I thought that was a funny thought.

Well, now is now. The time lag doesn't change what is happening now, it only changes what we perceive now, and unless you want to argue that things don't happen unless they are perceived then you would have to say that it is always now, we are just doomed to continually experience the past. Kind of like looking out into space with a telescope. We can never really know what is going on out there right now, we can just know what happened previously.

Yes, I agree. We are indeed doomed to wait that tiny moment for our senses to catch up to what is happening. But it goes COMPLETELY un-noticed, unless of course you think about it. That fact doesn't really effect our experiences. Well... maybe it does.. we just can't notice.
Oh, well. smile  

Necera

khuan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:43 pm
Quote:
what about changes in the perception of time? you know like "time flies when your having fun" or time in school seems to creep by.

I'd say that is more a question of psychology than metaphysics. Time doesn't actually speed up, it doesn't even really seem to speed up, we simply forget to keep track of it while we are having a good time then remember it and can't believe that we have spent the amount of time we have spent.  
Philosophy Threads

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff