more!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AbrAbraxas
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:08 pm
I have long been aware of the need to impart more value into the popular multimedia stream. it is very unlikely that anyone would be able to convince the masses to turn from their precious tvs, movies, computers and video games but if we can make them more worthwhile it might proove fruitful. i am very happy with the Nintendo wii and its attempt to provide exercise for the nerd generation, and video game systems aimed at learning for young children. i have long wanted to instill examples and exhibitions of the rich knowledge and wisdom that is lacking in the average mans life even though it is easily available to any who seek it. if we could develop video games and movies which inspire interest in philosophy, self actualization and the vast possibilities of human life. i have long longed for this and cringe when i see the work of others who attempt similar goals yet are misunderstood or boiled down to simplistic dismissals.
le sigh.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:55 pm
I'm working on a (very amateur) comics starring... philosophers. This may sound pathethic, but I really do. The main character is named Oussia and she wants to become Absolute smile go on, laugh at it. But I'm going to work hard on it so I can publish it in the web.  

Raticiel

AbrAbraxas
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:16 am
no laughing, let me know how it goes. i have been working on many stories on which may prove to be a good graphic novel. i am looking forward to it.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:07 pm
but there are movies that inspire interest in philosophy. the problem is that many people don't think on that level - either because they choose not to or they just aren't aware that there is a level above where they think. i watch many movies, and get philosophical ideas from them, but my friend can watch the same movie and get nothing but "hey that was a cool gun battle" from it.

granted, there are trash movies too *koff koff resident evil koff koff*.

but i think the problem with putting philosophy in a movie is that it will interest some people and make them think, and it will go right over the heads of the majority. like V for Vendetta. great movie. based on a great graphic novel. both of which raise important questions concerning political philosophies - it deals with fascism, democracy, libertarianism, revolutionary anarchism, and others. but most of my friends saw it and said "dude, those action scenes wher V is fighting were friggin awesome." slightly more rare of a comment was "hmmm natalie portman doesnt look bad in a buzz cut." i think i was the only one who saw the movie and really began to think about governments, who went back and reviewed the books on his shelf such as "civil disobedience" and "the social contract" and who sought out new material to read on political philosophy. my other friends just don't think on that wavelength  

MegaTherion777

AbrAbraxas
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:23 am
yes it is true, i find inspiration in places that it wasnt even intended by the creators, but we should still work to increase the saturation. something the bugs me are movies like national treasure and davinci code which seem to fictionalize and misguide interests.
i think that if principles and ideologies are presented, even if they are not appreciated they are absorbed. every time i see the matrix i see more depth, i dont know if it was intended or not, but it doesnt matter because it is my subjective experience. i just think that more opportunities for people to see or learn is better no matter whether they see it at first or not. this goes for movies, games, books, graphic novels and comics, flash vids, internet communities(like Zaadz.com) ..etc.
perhaps i will say more later but it is almost turkey time.
good day  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:54 am
there are many sources of knowledge easily available. all is needed is the will to seek and the knowledge that there is more that can be seen. the more opportunities there are for these two requirements to be stimulated the better.  

AbrAbraxas
Crew

Philosophy Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces