Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jagger-Wolf
Captain

Eloquent Vampire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:04 am
Ever been confronted by so called "normal" people about your mods? Were they nice or mean? Were they condemning of your lifestyle, or honestly just curious? Post your horror stories here.

I was in a store once when I had my armband, and was looking at something. I set it down and turned to walk away and someone GRABBED my arm. I, on instinct, swung around and punched the guy in the chest. He was pissed at me for punching him, when "all he wanted to do was see my tattoo." So he thought grabbing me was the right way to go about that. I left the store and have never gone back.

Just the other day I was in the grocery store and was wearing a tank top, so the entirety of my sleeve was in view, and as I walked by a woman she said to me "What on earth would possess you to do such a thing?" I turned to her and said "It's none of your business what I do to myself, especially when you come at me with such hostility." She continued to yell angry things at me from across the produce department, saying I was going to hell and that God hates me because I'm pierced and tattooed. I'm a disgrace to human kind, that kinda thing. I just ignored her, and so did everyone else. It kinda frustrates me that she wasn't kicked out of the store or anything, but whatever, I'm just a flat out better human being than she is.

So... what stories do you all have?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:30 pm
Never been confronted by one of the 'normals', all I can say I've really had is compliments by other mod enthusiasts. When I bring up the subject of body mods to my mother, she just continuously tells me that they're all pointless, ugly, and bad ways of showing that someone can take pain. She's very disrespectful about them, and she really, REALLY doesn't understand the art behind them.  

lLady lDelish

SatanSees

6,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:55 am
Theres only one other girl in my town with anything other than 'normal' mods (they're pretty shitty but nvm).
Its an 'area of need'. Lots of chavs, lots of arrogant druggies and people who can't seem to stop breeding their stupidity..

I'll get looked at quite a lot, mumbles..
Occasionally properly shouted at, from a distance. If I confront them, they backpedal so damn fast its kinda hilarious.
Small children want to talk me, scary mothers dragging them away being odd.. That sort of thing

I'm not even tattooed, and apart from my cheeks, my piercings are fairly ...inconspicious.
Ha.. can't imagine what'd happen if I got the subdermals I want.

I've had a quite few old ladies at bus stops come up and say they love my hair (its very bright bluey/green). Which I thought was lovely. And one who said they really liked my 'earrings'.
Some people want to know how my micros work or if my cheeks 'go all the way through'? And are genuinely interested. But thats mostly when I'm out of town..
Most of the time if I get asked questions, its from annoying giggly girls, who then insult me two minutes later when I've gone round the corner. I've stopped talking to those ones. Its kinda rude, but so are they. I'm socially awkward anyway. Actually interested ones are easy to spot, I'll talk to them all day smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:18 am

I never had stragers coming to me to say anything about my piercings.
But the other day I was with a friend of a friend and he saw that I had stretches and he started freaking out -_-'
Asking "why on earth" would I do that. And that I'm going to have saggy ears when I'm old, and I'm never going to get a decent job with "those things"
I just told him the leave my the ******** alone.
And I had a crush on that stupid thing.

Drunken Echoes

[ Hoodie ]

Dapper Elocutionist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:44 am
Well, I had an instance of where my boyfriend got completely 'hostile' or indignant about me wanting to obtain half sleeves. Saying that there are different ways to 'stand out' from the populace than to tattoo my arms. (though he obv. didn't care about my legs or feet if I chose to tattoo those)

Then of course the response about my plain jane piercings like my navel and nose. I have gotten compliments that I have looked excellent with them. Then of course the WHY THE HELL DO YOU PUT HOLES IN YOUR BODY?

My grandmother and mom are pretty much against body modification thus I never hear the end of it when I get new piercings where as the rest of my family don't really care

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:35 pm
When I was working, there was many of times people (even ones with their noses pierced or bellybuttons pierced, whatever) would come up to me and say things like, "DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO YOUR BODY?!", "YOU'LL REGRET THAT LATER!", "WHY WOULD YOU PURPOSEFULLY DO THAT TO YOURSELF?", etc.
I especially thought this was annoying to people that also had visible tattoos/piercings.
I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing to my body, I won't regret the tattoos I have--especially if I know what I was going through when I got the tattoos, and I enjoy modifying my body as I see fit.

Everyone stares at me, in general, because I have tattoos, piercings, and stretched earlobes (inches, bb!). Even if they don't see my piercings and tattoos as soon as they look at me, they instantly see the earlobes and think, "ZOMG! What is that grrrl doing to her body?!".
It annoys me a lot. I kind of wish tattoos/piercings/body mods were more acceptable than they are, even though most people have piercings/tattoos nowadays. Everyone thinks it's still weird, I guess. confused

Skelet0n 0n Display

Jagger-Wolf
Captain

Eloquent Vampire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:17 am
Skelet0n 0n Display
When I was working, there was many of times people (even ones with their noses pierced or bellybuttons pierced, whatever) would come up to me and say things like, "DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO YOUR BODY?!", "YOU'LL REGRET THAT LATER!", "WHY WOULD YOU PURPOSEFULLY DO THAT TO YOURSELF?", etc.
I especially thought this was annoying to people that also had visible tattoos/piercings.
I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing to my body, I won't regret the tattoos I have--especially if I know what I was going through when I got the tattoos, and I enjoy modifying my body as I see fit.

Everyone stares at me, in general, because I have tattoos, piercings, and stretched earlobes (inches, bb!). Even if they don't see my piercings and tattoos as soon as they look at me, they instantly see the earlobes and think, "ZOMG! What is that grrrl doing to her body?!".
It annoys me a lot. I kind of wish tattoos/piercings/body mods were more acceptable than they are, even though most people have piercings/tattoos nowadays. Everyone thinks it's still weird, I guess. confused
That's the kind of hypocrisy that really drives me nuts. People seem to forget that ear lobe piercings are still PIERCINGS. Breast implants, Botox, lip injections, ALL of those are body mods the same way tattoos and piercings are, and yet people are ENCOURAGED to get those mods, and piercings and tattoos are still frowned upon. It really just drives me up the freaking wall.

Body mods are, by definition, "ANYTHING that modifies your body", so basically anything that changes what you were naturally born with. So if you use that logic, dying your hair is a body modification, though more temporary than some others. ANYTHING that changes what you were born with is a form of body modification, and I think that most people seem to forget this.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:49 pm
I used to work in a discount store in a ghetto area at the tabacco counter. I had a lot of good and bad experiences with my piercings. At my most working there I had 4 facial piercings, stretched earlobes, sternum and both sides of my clavicles, and wore a low neck uniform so they were visible.

Almost every other coustomer would question about my piercings, some days almost every customer. It drove me mad. A lot of people were really just curious especially about all the surface piercings I had in my chest. Some people were just downright rude.

A conversation with one man:
Him "Why'd you have to go punch your self up like that?"
Me "Excuse me? What do you mean?"
Him "All the piercings, its disgusting! If I were your parents or your boyfriend I'd beat you."
Me "Well your not and my family and boyfriend accept me for who I am"
Him "Yeah you're damn lucky I'm not or you'd have your a** kicked."

Then he grabed his cigarettes and walked away. I was so mad. Luckily he walked away after that or I would of bitched him out so badly.

Children are the cutest though with their questions. I coach a soccer team of 5 and 6 year old girls, when they first met me they asked a bunch of questions, I told them I just thought they were pretty and asked if they agreed, then they went on about how cute and pretty they thought my piercings were.

Once a little girl grabbed her moms arm then pointed to me and yelled "LOOK MOMMY!! SHE HAS HER HEART PIERCED!"  

Pink Plaid

Divorced Datemate

4,625 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Partygoer 500

Skelet0n 0n Display

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:34 pm
Jagger-Wolf
Skelet0n 0n Display

That's the kind of hypocrisy that really drives me nuts. People seem to forget that ear lobe piercings are still PIERCINGS. Breast implants, Botox, lip injections, ALL of those are body mods the same way tattoos and piercings are, and yet people are ENCOURAGED to get those mods, and piercings and tattoos are still frowned upon. It really just drives me up the freaking wall.

Body mods are, by definition, "ANYTHING that modifies your body", so basically anything that changes what you were naturally born with. So if you use that logic, dying your hair is a body modification, though more temporary than some others. ANYTHING that changes what you were born with is a form of body modification, and I think that most people seem to forget this.

Agreed, 100%.
Thank you for your input (and posting this for people to discuss). ^_^

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:10 pm
I've had a few under aged boys ask me what it feels like... it was awkward to explain how lip piercings felt to get and have >.<
I've noticed that now that I have a noticeable mods (I have two well hidden tattoos) on my face people have been giving me the ugly eye for a while. I usually just smile at them politely and go about my business.

Of course I don't approve of a few extreme mods but of course I'm not going to outwardly condemn someone because of it that would be truly judgmental and almost racist to me.

The way I see it, people have their own bodies and they own and decorate them as they may see fit. I have no problem with that what so ever and will encourage it. Some things look different on different people and I feel good that we're in a day and age where people can do that and it is at least partially accepted.  

b o d y w a s h

Beloved Giver

3,850 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Four Dirty Paws

Tricky Gekko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:57 am
Jagger-Wolf
Skelet0n 0n Display

AMEN, man.

Knock on wood, so far the only grief I've gotten is from my mom, who hates that I'm stretching my lobes. But I don't live with my family anymore, so yeah.

Just wait till i start putting some serious ink down. >:3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:16 pm
b o d y w a s h

I've noticed that now that I have a noticeable mods (I have two well hidden tattoos) on my face people have been giving me the ugly eye for a while. I usually just smile at them politely and go about my business.

ha gotta love the stares

When I was in 12th grade we were on a field trip and one of the girls in my class who was with me was so freaked out because everyone was staring at me wherever we went, and she wasnt used to all the attention. At that time I had both side of my claivicles, my sternum, and 4 facial piercings, all visible.

I'm a bit of an attention whore though so I love all the stares and attention.  

Pink Plaid

Divorced Datemate

4,625 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Partygoer 500

Ladyffej

2,700 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:00 pm
This kinda goes with this tread and kinda doesn't but I am going to rant anyway!

you know how this thread is about people giving you a hard time for your body mods? well today I saw a girl with a great 3/4 sleeve and some nice piercings that really complimented her facial features, she looked really nice. So as I was in line behind her I Complemented her saying that her mods looked great. she looked me up and down and gave me the bi**hest look I think I have ever seen and said "what would you know about them?" Just because I don't have any noticeable mods... well any really. Doesn't mean she gets to treat me like sh*t, she is one of those people who give body mods a bad name by acting all jaded to someone who looks "normal".  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:32 am
Ladyffej
This kinda goes with this tread and kinda doesn't but I am going to rant anyway!

you know how this thread is about people giving you a hard time for your body mods? well today I saw a girl with a great 3/4 sleeve and some nice piercings that really complimented her facial features, she looked really nice. So as I was in line behind her I Complemented her saying that her mods looked great. she looked me up and down and gave me the bi**hest look I think I have ever seen and said "what would you know about them?" Just because I don't have any noticeable mods... well any really. Doesn't mean she gets to treat me like sh*t, she is one of those people who give body mods a bad name by acting all jaded to someone who looks "normal".
A VERY good point. Modified people can sometimes be just a bitchy and closed mined as non-modified people. And it does give the rest of us a bad name.

Just because you're modified doesn't mean you're better, smarter, cooler, or "less mainstream" than anyone else. You COULD have mods, just not visible ones like she had. That does not give her the right to talk to you like you're less of a human being than she is, just because you're not as visibly modded as she is.

It also frustrates me when modded people think they're better than non-modded people. You are JUST AS BAD AS THEY ARE when you treat people badly if they aren't modded. Then they go off and assume ALL modded people are bitchy assholes. And we don't need anymore negative press, stereotypes, or anything like that going around.  

Jagger-Wolf
Captain

Eloquent Vampire

Quadums

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:43 pm
Lol. I had a guy on my bowling league comment on my septum, he likes it. He asked me if I was use to it and I said yes, but at first it was a bit weird.
His response was: oh so it's just like dentures then? But then again, I don't like my dentures.
LOL  
Official Body Mod Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces