Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Its Wolfeh

6,250 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:52 pm
So, aspergers is basically the reason I dropped out of school. At the time we didn't know it was aspergers related but I was having trouble taking in information and was just bored out of my mind to where learning was frustrating because I couldn't focus.

Now and days I really love learning, and want to learn, but whenever I read the slightest noise interrupts my thought process, and discussions around me are also extremely distracting. If I read something in the book that reminds me of something I'll also daydream for a good 10 minutes and then not even remember what I just read. I live with my mom since I'm 16 and she has to have the T.V. on all the time, and its loud so I especially can't read at home. I've asked her for ear plugs but she gets all angry and says they're expensive, which I've tried telling her they aren't but then she thinks I'm being argumentative and then I just stop talking.

I have very low self confidence and self esteem since I don't "know it all", and I really want to, but I feel like I can't and it just kills me. Does anyone have advice on what I can do?

I've been learning C++ programming from playing around with game emulators, but that's the only thing I've found effective in learning, and even that the learning is very little.

User ImageUser ImageUser Image
_Gentle Like The Fawn, Fierce Like The Bear, Protective Like The Wolf.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:48 pm
Well you should buy yourself some earplugs without Mom knowing.
You should also go to the quietest room in your house. When studying in school, ask your teacher to go to the library or resource room if necessary.  

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Its Wolfeh

6,250 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:03 pm
Okay. She'll be giving me an amazon giftcard for Christmas (surprises fail in our family XD) so I'll just buy them along with my books, or something similar like noise proof ear muffs (and save myself the earwax). I'm also not in school.

I'd still like to hear more ideas though. Sometimes even if its quiet I can drift off in thought. Its kind of like being bipolar though, sometimes the daydreams can be really bad and go off like firecrackers, and other days I'm great and am able to focus. Maybe some learning related supplements would be a good idea too. (Like memory enhancement and stuff... there's a vitamin water for it, and when I tried it it worked great.)

My mom says its like ADHD/ADD but I don't really fit the profile. Then again it could always be a possibility ._. gonk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:53 pm
If daydreaming happens often, you should have a study partner or a teacher in the room to help you focus.  

xXSuperWhateverXx

7,200 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Sans Serif
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:07 pm
From what I understand, Autism has it's ups and downs. Sometimes you're able to deal with certain stimuli, sometimes not. Our therapist mentioned that a lot of people use mp3 players or game systems with headphones to help cope with certain noises. Also, Autism is often paired with other learning disorders or mood disorders. So, ADD or ADHD is not out of the realm of possibility.

I think the best thing you can do is find what works for you so you can learn and get the education you deserve. If you need help, there are many resources available. It all kind of depends where you live and how old you are. If you are young enough, the school district might help out. Or, you could get connected with a local therapist or maybe a regional center to help. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:03 pm
Sans Serif
From what I understand, Autism has it's ups and downs. Sometimes you're able to deal with certain stimuli, sometimes not. Our therapist mentioned that a lot of people use mp3 players or game systems with headphones to help cope with certain noises. Also, Autism is often paired with other learning disorders or mood disorders. So, ADD or ADHD is not out of the realm of possibility.

I think the best thing you can do is find what works for you so you can learn and get the education you deserve. If you need help, there are many resources available. It all kind of depends where you live and how old you are. If you are young enough, the school district might help out. Or, you could get connected with a local therapist or maybe a regional center to help. 3nodding

A CD player sounds like a good idea, at least with classical music maybe. Music with lyrics would be distracting XD I hate school though, just the sight of one sends me into fight or flight, I hate even looking at one. We are trying to get uh... I forgot what they called it, something like developmental delay services or something like that. I think they would help me with school... its just taking forever, as usual the government is slow XD I just hope the learning stuff won't take place in a school >_< If it does I want to go after everyone has left.

I've thought about reading out loud to my mom, it would really help the information sink in and we would both be learning, but she didn't want to hear about freemasonry. Finally I told her the idea today and she was like all for it, it made me lol because before she was like NO, and she said that before she thought I was trying to convert her to freemasonry lol. I'll try that though, and once I finally get the developmental delay services I think it will be a lot better.

Thanks, to both of you! Though uh, how many hours do you think I should read? I was thinking maybe two or three, I'm just worried about my voice box getting sore. XD

Its Wolfeh

6,250 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Wall Street 200

Sans Serif
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:20 pm
Its Wolfeh
Sans Serif

A CD player sounds like a good idea, at least with classical music maybe. Music with lyrics would be distracting XD I hate school though, just the sight of one sends me into fight or flight, I hate even looking at one. We are trying to get uh... I forgot what they called it, something like developmental delay services or something like that. I think they would help me with school... its just taking forever, as usual the government is slow XD I just hope the learning stuff won't take place in a school >_< If it does I want to go after everyone has left.

I've thought about reading out loud to my mom, it would really help the information sink in and we would both be learning, but she didn't want to hear about freemasonry. Finally I told her the idea today and she was like all for it, it made me lol because before she was like NO, and she said that before she thought I was trying to convert her to freemasonry lol. I'll try that though, and once I finally get the developmental delay services I think it will be a lot better.

Thanks, to both of you! Though uh, how many hours do you think I should read? I was thinking maybe two or three, I'm just worried about my voice box getting sore. XD

If you're going through your school district, you might be able to do an independent study time program or maybe attend a classroom setting a limited amount of time per week. 3nodding

I would read as much as you want about anything and everything you are interested in, or try to learn about your interests in any case. It doesn't hurt to excel in the things you like, and let them worry about how to teach you about the tougher subjects. whee  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:35 pm
I have Asperger's, but I've never drop out of school.  

madame13

5,350 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Autobiographer 200

MonickerPenis

Magical Prophet

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:08 pm
I bought military grade ear-muffs. Designed to resist gun-shot reports indoors.

NO MORE SOUND, NOT A CARE IN THE WORLD.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:14 pm
try taking notes or getting permission to record what the teacher says so that you can listen again?  

cutereader86

Super Giver

10,900 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Autism and Aspergers Awareness Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items