Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Band Members (Achtung! Here, there be fangirls)
The Men Behind OOMPH! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gek -LaLeLu-
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:35 am
As most of you know already, OOMPH! is made up of a trio of men. These guys are very private about their personal lives, so not a whole lot is known about these men (not even their real names!). The information below is what they posted about themselves on their official website.

Except for the additional notes...those are supplied by me!

Another side note: If you want to get ahold of these guys to talk to them, they all have accounts on the OOMPH!.de forums. Dero especially loves to talk to the fans, so feel free to message them through there. Although, they will reply faster if you use the German side (that doesn't mean you have to write them in German, so don't worry). That's how I talked to Dero...he verbally hugged me and I about died. xp  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:44 am
Name: Dero Goi

User Image

Date of birth: 16.04.1970
("... children of the revolution")

Place of birth: Wolfsburg

Job at Oomph!

vocals, lyrics, drums, compositions, stage-show

Life before Oomph!

school, leaving-examination, civilian service, study and a lot of party!

the way to music:

On diverse family parties in the seventies, I was "forced" to bellow up and down all imaginable elvis-songs with my father (guitarist, singer). It was a horrid English...

The way together
In 1989 we met on a local indie-festival in Wolfsburg. At that time, I bawled in a new wave-punk band together with Crap (who was exclusively at the keys). Flux was active in a new-romantic/avantguarde band working with diverse controls, keys and strings.

Away from the band`s everyday life

relaxing, studying psychology, reading, going in for sports, going to the pictures, cooking

Most terrific band-experience

1991: first record deal 1993: for the first time in New York, immediately in the legendary "limelight" 1993: duet with Nina Hagen 2000: eurokennes festival in france with eurythmicy, muse, nine inch nails, alanis morissette, slayer...

Worst band-experience

the mastering for the UNREIN-album

Models

I do not have any models. Of course there are many people I admire for their courage to stand up for their beliefs (steven biko, che guevara, mahatma gandhi, the historical jesus, mutter theresa, dietrich bonhoeffer and the "kreisauer kreis", martin luther king, the dalai lama, the brothers and sisters scholl and "die weisse rose", etc.).

Politics

As much power as necessary for people - as little power as possible for the individual.

Influences
the cure, killing joke, einstürzende neubauten, AC/DC, depeche mode, extrabreit, kraftwerk, the beatles, elvis presley, ABBA, karl orff´s works in the primary school

Records for eternity

All the classical records of Beethoven, Mozart and Ravel.
Beatles (the white album) - nin (the downward spiral) - AC/DC (dirty deeds... ) - DAF (gold und liebe and DAF ) - ABBA (gold) - all the records of elvis presley - frank sinatra´s greatest hits - björk (post) - incubus (make yourself )- faith no more (king for a day... ) - metallica (the black album)

Books for eternity

anne sexton: liebesgedichte/verwandlungen - patrick süsskind: das parfum - jostein gaarder: sofies welt - marlo morgan: traumfänger - gitta sereny: schreie die keiner hört - grimms märchen - all the writings of marx and engels- all the writings of sartre and nietzsche - all the writings of brecht, benn, trakl and jandl - the bible - the koran - the columns of buddhism - Actually I like every religious book. In my opinion it is very spectacular if a book is relevant for several thousand years.

Films for eternity

Citizen Kane - Der Pate 1&2 - Schrei in der Stille - dancer in the dark - Der Dieb von Bagdad (1940) - Die 3 Musketiere (194 cool - Nosferatu with murnau - Nosferatu with kinski - Ist das Leben nicht schön? with James Steward - Ed Wood with Johnny Depp - natural born killers - hitchcock`s Psycho - Was geschah wirklich mit baby Jane? with Bette Davis - Schindlers Liste - Indiana Jones-trilogie - Alien-trilogie - american history x - mission - Wie ein wilder Stier - Der alte Mann und das Meer with Spencer Tracy - dead men walking - all of stan + ollie - the pipi langstrumpf-films - das Piano - Life of Brian

Personal strong points within the band

the readiness to give always 100% if it is urgent

Personal weak sides within the band
impatience

The best advice one can give

... should be for nothing!

Most beautiful literature-quotation

Your care was my care, my care was your care. If you had not any joy, I also could not have any. (Berthold Brecht)

Most spectacular literature-quotation

piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiep!!!! (an dieser Stelle sehe ich mich außerstande, Brecht zu übersetzen)

Music is...

my life`s elixir. Of course music is not the world, but without music things would not be worth anything.

Additional Notes on Dero

--real first name: Stefan
--a vegetarian
--currently married
--has a son
--has three cats: Maggie, Church, and Almordis
--is against the death penalty
--worries about global warming (our boy's an environmentalist, me thinks)
--can not stand the band Tokio Hotel (I don't blame him)
--ADORES Bjork
--likes Gollum and Sam from Lord of the Rings
--hates computer games
--is a Stanley Kubrick fanboy (who's Stanley Kubrick? confused )
--likes Reservoir Dogs and the Hannibal Lector movies
--thinks the Kill Bill movies were cheesy
--likes Murnau, director of "Nosferatu"
--last name is pronouced "Chui" (that's either 'chooy' or 'shooy'). It's Jewish and means "non-believer"
--likes MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch
--has problems with English grammar
--is an all around dork (I mean it that in the best way possible!!! heart )  

Gek -LaLeLu-
Captain

Gek -LaLeLu-
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:27 pm
Name: Robert Flux

User Image

Date of birth: 05.05.1967

Place of birth: Salzgitter-Lebenstedt

Job at Oomph!

playing guitar and jumping on stage, sampling, composing, producing, mixing, keeping in contact to the management and the record labels (the socializer)

Life before Oomph!

Did that exist? Grown up in Salzgitter, at the age of 11 move to Wolfsburg, school, a lot of sport (handball), making music in diverse "cellar-bands", leaving-examination, starting to study (biological process engineering) and then breaking it off because of Oomph!

The way to music

My musical grandma (piano and singing) and my family supported me in my early youth. With a ‚children-guitar' I rocked to Suzie Quattro (more imitating), at the age of 14 I took my first guitar-lessons (classical). At the age of 16 I bought my first E-guitar and played in school-bands (from AC/DC till Status Quo). Listening to Depeche Mode and DAF, I ‚discovered' the synthesizer. I got my first synthesizer as a present from my grandma (Siel Opera 6 - don`t buy that!). Then I tried to combine synthesizer and guitar.

The way together

In 1989 we met on a local indie-festival in Wolfsburg. Crap and Dero knew each other already from the sandpit, because they grew up in the same block of flats. We immediately got along with each other and we all had the aim to do music as a job.

Does that exist? Of course: a lot of sport (mainly jogging), meeting friends, phoning, relaxing, supporting young and stirving bands (at least I try)

1991: first record deal 1993: for the first time in New York, immediately in the legendary "limelight" Skunk Anansie Supporttour and many more beautiful experiences on tour and festivals with our crew and our fans.

Worst band-experience

a visit to our former, sick tourmanager Ralf Sepeur, who was in coma for three months after a serious car accident... I wish you a speedy recovery!

Models

I do not really have any models, but I think highly of some producers and their productions, e.g. Flood and Andy Wallace (I do not know them as persons...)

Politics

I hate intolerance of any kind. Neither politically nor humanly, I am not obliged to any special party (is that possible today anyway?). But mostly I express a clear opinion. Go to the polls and talk to each other!!!

Influences

in the past: The Beatles and Elvis (record-collection of my parents) - Suzie Quattro - T.Rex - David Bowie and rock of the 70s (record-collection of my elder brother) then: AC/DC - Kraftwerk - DAF - Depeche Mode - The Cure - Nitzer Ebb - Pantera - Prong - Grunge - Industrial - good Pop, a bit of all...

Records for eternity

The Beatles (Sgt. Pepper's... ), The Cure (Kiss me, Kiss me, Kiss me) , Beastie Boys (Check Your Head), Depeche Mode (Some Great Reward), Björk (Debut), AC/DC (Hell's Bells), Helmet (Betty), Tool (Aenima), Smashing Pumpkins (Siamese Dreams), Nitzer Ebb (Belief) and many, many more...

Books for eternity

"???", "Schloß Schreckenstein"... Unfortunately I stopped reading sometime. personal

Strong points within the band

I settle disputes and make plans. I give nearly all my power for the music and the production, I know the others` strong points. I am persistent and ambitious.

Personal weak sides within the band

Sometimes I am too conservative and then I can be very obdurate as far as that goes (I am simply a Taurus). Sometimes I am too persistent and ambitious.

Do not give any advices but try to do things better yourself!

The most beautiful literature-quotation

I cannot remember quotations... (Maybe I do not know any because I do not read enough). But I try to use and enjoy every single day even if I do not succeed very often...

Music is...

the most beautiful pastime, a very great part of my life and at the moment it is my job.

Additional Notes

--is not married, but has a girlfriend
--no children
--once during a concert, he cut his hand majorly on a guitar string. Despite the injury, he finished out the show. Immediately afterwards, he was rushed to the hospital for stitches.
User Image
^His guitar after the show. eek  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:34 pm
Name: Andreas Crap

User Image

Date of birth: 28.05.1970

Place of birth: Wolfsburg

Job at Oomph!

composing, producing, keyboard, sampling and playing the guitar

Life before Oomph!

secondary modern school (SEK II), economy school, training in the commercial sector, Federal Armed Forces, diverse jobs and of course music

The way to music

I do not know exactly. Certainly it was no matter of heredity, because my family is totally unmusical. Sometime I started to take guitar-lessons, later piano-lessons. The most I learned by myself. At the age of 7 I got my first guitar as a present for Christmas. At the age of 15 I bought my first synthesizer by my confirmation-money (DX27 Yamaha). I still have it and put it in to our music. At the age of 15/16 I jammed a lot with friends, among others also with our present singer Dero. My first band was called "Phaze" and was really bad. But I took the opportunity of gaining my first experiences.

The way together

I know Dero for 25 years. We lived in the same tenement house and played together in the sandpit. At the age of 10 or 11 we started to make music (let`s call it noise) with cardboard boxes, persil-drums and a lot of self-made instruments. In 1987 I met Flux. He also lived in Wolfsburg and started things similarly. Here and there a band, but it was never the right track. We immediately got along with each other and all of us were of the opinion that we had to do something completely different. Two years later Oomph! came into being.

a lot of sport (jogging, fitness, bicycle), riding a motorbike, computer-games, going to the pictures, TV, relaxing, from time to time I read a book, of course music

Every year it is a highlight again to pick the finished album (with all the trimmings) up and to look back on the partly exhausted work of the last months.

Worst band-experience

When I heard that a fan of us died very tragically after a concert in Rostock, I was very distressed about that.

Models

Actually I do not have any models. But I think it is exemplary, if someone says what he is thinking about and shows the courage to stand up for his beliefs. It is great to accept oneself and other people as well as to show tolerance.

Politics

There should be done more for people. Unfortunately things are consumed by corruption. There are too few politicians working for people without seeking for their advantages. If we changed that, many problems would not exist.

Influences

I am influenced by many bands: Beatles, The Doors, AC/DC, Depeche Mode, Anne Clark, Kraftwerk, Les Rita Mitsouko, The Cure, Art of Noise, Sisters of Mercy, The Smiths, Iggy Pop, Einstürzende Neubauten, Extrabreit, David Bowie and by many more.

Records for eternity

Beatles (the blue Album) - Metallica (Black) - Nitzer Ebb (Showtime) - Kate Bush (The Whole Story) - Beastie Boys (Check your Head) - Massive Attack (Mezzanine) - Red Hot Chilli Peppers (Californication) - Björk (Post)

Books for eternity

All writings of Ephraim Kishon, Giovanni Guareschi (Don Camillo and Peppone)

Personal strong points within the band

willing to compromise, honesty, keeping cool in any situation, admitting and tolerating mistakes. I am very dogged if it is appropriate. personal

Weak sides within the band

I am a bad listener. I am very dogged to have my own way. I always want to have the last word.

Decide things with feeling, even if you have to brood over for a long time. Enjoy your life! most beautiful literature-quotation: All that glitters is not gold.

Music is...
MY LIFE!

Additional Notes

--last name is pronounced "Crip" ...kinda. Go watch a "Making Of".
--doesn't appear to like being cold
--is actually quite a dork himself heart  

Gek -LaLeLu-
Captain

watchdawg77
Crew

Loyal Bookworm

19,325 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:56 pm
sweatdrop i thought his last name was pronounced crap...ya know like crap xd  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:28 pm
watchdawg77

I always pronounced it that way too for a long time...but in the "Making Of" for Augen Auf!, he introduced himself and pronounced it that way...  

Gek -LaLeLu-
Captain

watchdawg77
Crew

Loyal Bookworm

19,325 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:30 pm
SparrowWriter
watchdawg77

I always pronounced it that way too for a long time...but in the "Making Of" for Augen Auf!, he introduced himself and pronounced it that way...

oh...i see.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:31 pm
And Dero's last name is Jewish...and he likes American History X *huggles him* i love that movie...and i'm sure that if he came over here we could assist him with his english grammar. ^__~  

watchdawg77
Crew

Loyal Bookworm

19,325 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

watchdawg77
Crew

Loyal Bookworm

19,325 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:02 am
Dero's real name is Stefan...when i found out i was all *dies in a fit of giggles* No friggin' way *continues laughing* *points at his pic in first post* Stefan!

Sorry, i mean no disrepsect, but i find that hilarious...and i can see why he has a nickname...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:56 pm
watchdawg77
Dero's real name is Stefan...when i found out i was all *dies in a fit of giggles* No friggin' way *continues laughing* *points at his pic in first post* Stefan!

Sorry, i mean no disrepsect, but i find that hilarious...and i can see why he has a nickname...

I saw that too, but I wasn't sure if it was true because it was in someone's fic. So I didn't post it. So I wonder what Crap's and Flux's are...?  

Gek -LaLeLu-
Captain

watchdawg77
Crew

Loyal Bookworm

19,325 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:49 pm
wouldn't it be Andreas Crap and Robert Flux...i've never heard any other names for them. xd But hearing Dero's was like OMFG!!1! No Way.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:36 pm
No, they have other names...I wonder how Dero's real name even got out... confused  

Gek -LaLeLu-
Captain

watchdawg77
Crew

Loyal Bookworm

19,325 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:01 am
no idea...  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:01 pm
Crap, I love you babe, but...I give up on how to pronounce your name! (not really, but I want to)

Anyway, I updated the "how to pronounce his name" thing with how he said it in the Making Of for Das Letzte Streichholz.  

Gek -LaLeLu-
Captain

Yasira

Conservative Bloodsucker

7,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Trick or Treat 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:36 am
I don't think they would ever tell their real names O_o
They've never done it through their time in this business and we all know that's a long time...  
Band Members (Achtung! Here, there be fangirls)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games