Reply Models and Artwork
Actual Difficulty for Gundam Models?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

J-Chan Nyan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:21 am
I put together a few Gundam Models up to level 4, but they are all so easy? Further up the line (I can't even find some of the difficultys listed) How hard does it get?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:22 pm
Gundam models are all stupidly easy to put together so long as you stay away from the original firstgrade models and ignore resin upgrade or conversion kits.
Even the PG models.

The challenge comes from trying to paint them nicely.  

Ophiuchus
Captain

J-Chan Nyan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:33 pm
It's just me and glue, not great because I have a sensitive nose.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:35 pm
Don't need glue for a Gundam kit. Not any of the modern ones, anyway  

Ophiuchus
Captain

PirateEire

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:11 am
All of my cheap little MG models are easy as pie. The only issue I have is the decals (because I'm afraid to paint them). The film tears if you friggin' breathe on it.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:47 pm
Actually Doesnt that huge model of the Minerva require glue and paint? As well as the Perfect Grade Gundams? Though I think the mini pilots may just need painted.  

J-Chan Nyan

Ophiuchus
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:23 pm
J-Chan Nyan
Actually Doesnt that huge model of the Minerva require glue and paint? As well as the Perfect Grade Gundams? Though I think the mini pilots may just need painted.
The minerva is an EX model. They aren't normal Gundam kits. Those are "high quality scale models for expert modellers"  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:53 pm
If you're going to start putting Gundam kits together, you need to learn about the way they're constructed from the torso down.

Start with TV-Series kits from either Wing or X (which both had prolific 1/144th lineups with simple universal construction). You will learn quickly that most if not all Gundam kits use one or two sheets of UNIVERSAL ABS polycap joints across the scales. The only exceptions are PG kits, which use very few, if any, polycaps and rely mostly on metal screws and metal friction to keep joints in place.

Gundam kits aren't hard to assemble. They're just notoriously hard to paint to complete TV accuracy in smaller grades. If one were to make a true difficulty scale, the bigger 1/60th Big Scale and PG kits would be Lv1, while TV-Series 1/144ths would be Lv10 (ESPECIALLY the non-posing SEED and SEED Destiny Collection Series kits -_-).

Also, EX kits aren't worth the money you pay for them in any way, shape, or form.  

Cyrus Adler

Distinct Conversationalist

10,600 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Bookworm 100

Ophiuchus
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:02 pm
Kerberos BuCUE hound doesn't use any polycaps whatsoever. It has combination hard plastic joints. The Gunpla manufacturers want to make all new kits in this way, something about ease of moulding.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:15 pm
Ophiuchus
Don't need glue for a Gundam kit. Not any of the modern ones, anyway

actually, if you want to erase the connection of two pieces, it is required that you use glue...
very simple technique really... Over glue, have it spew out, let it dry, than sand it down...

any one can honestly put together a model...
I am pretty sure I can put together an SD gundam within 20 min, and an HGUC within an hour (I say hour, b/c the TR-5 Gaplant is probably one of the more complex models I have built to this day)

But the true beauty comes from:
a.) painting it (custom or not)
b.) getting rid of the connection line (have not tried yet)
c.) using the fine tip marker to color in the lines, and then using a qu-tip to get rid of the excess (this alone upgrades the awesomeness of a gundam)  

Vivio1412

Models and Artwork

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff