Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Intellectuals Confederation

Back to Guilds

A guild providing grounds in which intelligible discussions may be held, serious issues debated, and other general topics be discussed 

Tags: Intelligent, Anti-Spam, Anti-Twilight, Social, Polite 

Reply Literature: Reading and Writing
Southern vampire mysteries series

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Read it?
  Yes!
  No!
  Pie!
View Results

Talkor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:07 am
Soup intellectuals?

Has anybody on here read (or listened to) the southern vampire mysteries series? They're what the HBO series True Blood was based on. They are, in my opinion, mostly amazing. There are a few less than spectacular moments in them, most of the sex scenes are a bit meh and not arousing or interesting in anyway, I have, in fact, lol'd. Sounds rare, but most things just make me kinda chuckle. The series has some good twists and turns and plot-whats. The best part of the series other than the plot-whats is the fact that it is a vampire series that isn't Twilight. Amazing right? The main character is strong and independent. The main vampire isn't some goody two-shoes MONSTER that only feeds on animals, though he sticks with synthetic blood they show quite clearly that he prefers fresh blood from a human. AND interesting s**t happens.

Discuss amongst the the everyones and yourselves the Sookie Stackhouse novels written by Ms. Charlaine Harris.

Also, run on paragraph runs on.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:39 am
That sounds very good actually, I think Ill have to read the series. There happens to be a southern Vampire series starting on FX (The continental version of Fox) called Bon Temps, I wonder is it the same show?  

Omnipotent Uncertainties
Captain

Ghostly Pie
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:12 am
I haven't read it, I can never find time for pleasure reading. sad

I've seen some of the show though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:16 pm
Omnipotent Uncertainties
That sounds very good actually, I think Ill have to read the series. There happens to be a southern Vampire series starting on FX (The continental version of Fox) called Bon Temps, I wonder is it the same show?

I would think so. The town the books and show are based in is called Bon Temps.

Colourblind Rainbows
I haven't read it, I can never find time for pleasure reading. sad

I've seen some of the show though.

I find audiobooks help with that. XD  

Talkor

Omnipotent Uncertainties
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:06 pm
Ah, well there you go. It does look like a good series, and Its nice to see the vampire finally leave Los Angles (Seriously, modern city vampires are cool but its getting a little over done)

Is this the usual case of the books being far more enjoyable than the television conversion?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:02 pm
Omnipotent Uncertainties
Ah, well there you go. It does look like a good series, and Its nice to see the vampire finally leave Los Angles (Seriously, modern city vampires are cool but its getting a little over done)

Is this the usual case of the books being far more enjoyable than the television conversion?

Not quite. I'm not actually sure what I like more. I'm ahead in the books as the second season for True Blood or Bon Temps has only just started. The show made some both major and minor changes and none of them were really for the worse from what I can tell so far.

In the TV show you actually get a better feel for some of the characters because in the books it's a first-person perspective from the main character, where as the show covers more people and you can really get to know each individual person better.  

Talkor

Omnipotent Uncertainties
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:38 pm
ProphitAngell
Omnipotent Uncertainties

Not quite. I'm not actually sure what I like more. I'm ahead in the books as the second season for True Blood or Bon Temps has only just started. The show made some both major and minor changes and none of them were really for the worse from what I can tell so far.

In the TV show you actually get a better feel for some of the characters because in the books it's a first-person perspective from the main character, where as the show covers more people and you can really get to know each individual person better.

haha, It actually turns out that the series IS in fact still called True Blood, they were just building it up on FX so they didn't give the name away just yet. But it sounds very good, so I think I'll start watching it smile If I like it Ill probably pick up the novels ^^  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:17 am
I have been a fan of this series for a long time. I really like the TV series but I prefer the novels. My fiancee is always comparing me to people in the TV series and I have to keep saying "No I am not". Unlike many adaptations from books the TV series is not too bad and is offering a deeper look into some other characters story.  

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Literature: Reading and Writing

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items