[OOC]The Defenders Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aenakume

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:09 pm
Jerohan
Note also that language barriers may play a significant factor in this story. As such, the rule will be thus.

Any words or sentences said in Japanese will appear as a standard sentence.
Example:
"Hello, my name is Sam," Sam said.

If a sentence or word, etc., is said in any language other than EnglishJapanese, the sentence will be written in English, but will appear in the < and > symbols within the quotation marks, with mention of the exact lannguage being spoken either before or after the sentance.
Example:
"" Sam said in English.

Fixed. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:16 pm
Well, everything revolves around the d20. Let's say Hana attacks a monster. That monster will have an armor class, which must be beaten, in order for it to take damage. If it's a ranged attack, she rolls her d20, then will add her dexterity score to the attack rolle. If it matches or is greater than armor class, she does damage (the attack used must be mentioned bforehand, so no rolling, hitting, then choosing that characters really powerful ability afterward).
If it is a melee attack, it is d20+str.

A ranged magical attacks for mages is different. Since they are still trying to hit them from a distance, they must use their dexterity score to determine whether an attack hits or misses. Later on they may receive spells that directly target an individual via perceiving them and for those they may use their willpower score. However, the standard bolts and rays they receive at the beginning are dexterity based.

There may be dice rolls for other things, even things that don't relate to a particular stat. For instance, there is a chance Kaki notices the second demon that's trying to go for a sneak attack. He must roll a perception check. It's d20, no bonus. If it beats the score or matches it, Kaki noticess the demon. If not, it gets to keep sneaking.  

Jerohan

Blessed Knight

Jerohan

Blessed Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Aenakume
Jerohan
Note also that language barriers may play a significant factor in this story. As such, the rule will be thus.

Any words or sentences said in Japanese will appear as a standard sentence.
Example:
"Hello, my name is Sam," Sam said.

If a sentence or word, etc., is said in any language other than EnglishJapanese, the sentence will be written in English, but will appear in the < and > symbols within the quotation marks, with mention of the exact lannguage being spoken either before or after the sentance.
Example:
"" Sam said in English.

Fixed. 3nodding

Thanks. Rule-making, typing, and beer often don't go together...  
Aenakume rolled 1 20-sided dice: 12 Total: 12 (1-20)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:23 pm
Jerohan
Well, everything revolves around the d20. Let's say Hana attacks a monster. That monster will have an armor class, which must be beaten, in order for it to take damage. If it's a ranged attack, she rolls her d20, then will add her dexterity score to the attack rolle. If it matches or is greater than armor class, she does damage (the attack used must be mentioned bforehand, so no rolling, hitting, then choosing that characters really powerful ability afterward).
If it is a melee attack, it is d20+str.

A ranged magical attack for mages is different. Since they are still trying to hit them, they must use their dexterity score to determine whether an attack hits or misses.

There may be dice rolls for other things, even things that don't relate to a particular stat. For instance, there is a chance Kaki notices the second demon that's trying to go for a sneak attack. He must roll a perception check. It's d20, no bonus. If it beats the score or matches it, Kaki noticess the demon. If not, it gets to keep sneaking.

I mean like, if Hana attacks an enemy in her post, do I roll a dice while making the post (just like I did here)? (Except when she's doing sneak attacks - I roll two dice?)

Then you tell me what happened with her attack in an ornate-style post?

Or do we roll here in the OOC? Or what?  

Aenakume

Jerohan

Blessed Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:38 pm
Heres what I recommend...

Roll in your post, like you did, and describe only how Hana would make her attack. For example...

Hana thrust the pistol out forward, lining the sights up across the demon's heart. She held her breath, steadying her hand, and slowly squeezed the trigger...

With that post, take the dice roll, add the govorning attribute for the attack (in this case, dexterity), and find the attack total. If it hits, I will roll the damage dice and describe how the enemy would react to the blow.

Also, sneak attacks, though they do double damage, only need to be rolled once to determine if it lands or not.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:51 pm
I think I got the general idea. So all I have to do is whenever I'm taking an action that may or may not succeed (attacking, searching for an enemy, trying to hide or escape), I just state what I'm doing in the post and roll?

Like, to fire from range, I just say "Hana is firing from range" and roll a 4-sided die? (And 2d4 means a single 4-sided die, but the score is multiplied by 2, right?)

Or wait, I just roll a 20-sided die - and if it's greater than the enemy's AC it's a hit... then you roll the 4-sided die and figure the damage (which is the score of the role + 7, Hana's dexterity)?

Or, wait again. ^_^; I roll a 20-sided die, then add the 7, and if it's greater than the enemy's AC, you roll the 4-sided die and add 7 again to see how much it hurt?  

Aenakume

Jerohan

Blessed Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:58 pm
Aenakume
I think I got the general idea. So all I have to do is whenever I'm taking an action that may or may not succeed (attacking, searching for an enemy, trying to hide or escape), I just state what I'm doing in the post and roll?

Like, to fire from range, I just say "Hana is firing from range" and roll a 4-sided die? (And 2d4 means a single 4-sided die, but the score is multiplied by 2, right?)

Or wait, I just roll a 20-sided die - and if it's greater than the enemy's AC it's a hit... then you roll the 4-sided die and figure the damage (which is the score of the role + 7, Hana's dexterity)?

Or, wait again. ^_^; I roll a 20-sided die, then add the 7, and if it's greater than the enemy's AC, you roll the 4-sided die and add 7 again to see how much it hurt?

The third one. Roll d20+dex, if it beats the enemy's AC (a number I won't necisaruily always disclose to the players, so sometimes it's a secret). If it beats the AC, I roll the damage. Which, if it's a standard attack, is d4+7. If it's a sneak attack it's 2d4+7. I still havent decided if that means I'll double a single d4, or do like most games (wherin I'm phsyically rolling the dice with my hand) and just roll the d4 twice.

Heheh, here's some more advice... find the nearest hobby shop (as in it sells D&D and Warhammer stuff and dice, not things for knitting and painting), see if there are groups that play there sometimes (they exist), and see if they won't let you sit in on or play a game or two with 'em. I guarantee, it will be educational, and you just might get into it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:11 pm
Actually, I did try that once - I was invited to a sort of demo/tutorial game where they walked me through it. It... didn't work out. ^_^; I was so fixated on wanting to get the hell out of there that I didn't really absorb any of the lessons.

It wasn't the game, though, it was the guy. When he offered to give me a lesson, I took the offer at face value... but it was a big play on his part to flirt. And it wasn't like we were friends or anything - he was actually a complete stranger just offering to introduce the game to other complete strangers. It bugged me so much I just wanted to leave as quickly as possible, and I've been very wary of going back.

But anyway, I'm sure I'll figure out the process once I see it once. The only reason I'm concerned is because Hana is probly going to be the one making the very first move of the game. ^_^;  

Aenakume

Jerohan

Blessed Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:23 pm
Aenakume
Actually, I did try that once - I was invited to a sort of demo/tutorial game where they walked me through it. It... didn't work out. ^_^; I was so fixated on wanting to get the hell out of there that I didn't really absorb any of the lessons.

It wasn't the game, though, it was the guy. When he offered to give me a lesson, I took the offer at face value... but it was a big play on his part to flirt. And it wasn't like we were friends or anything - he was actually a complete stranger just offering to introduce the game to other complete strangers. It bugged me so much I just wanted to leave as quickly as possible, and I've been very wary of going back.

But anyway, I'm sure I'll figure out the process once I see it once. The only reason I'm concerned is because Hana is probly going to be the one making the very first move of the game. ^_^;

Ah, understandable... if I were younger I'd probably end up doing the same as he, honestly. >.> Not now, though. I've grown into more of a dork, so I'd genuinly be interested in making sure you had a good time and understood the game.

Maybe you just need a group of friends you know. Find some people who would be interested... now the books are expensive (especially for the newer 4th edition), but I can ask some of my friends where you can get almost every book you could ever need for 3.5 edition (the best edition IMO) for free online. It's... quite a bit of reading, I'll be honest. But, I mean, hecll, my little bro memorized most of the books just by having it on the back of the toilet for about a year...

Then again, this is the same brother that's enlisting in the Navy so he can finish his nuclear engineering degree... o.o

And yeah, makes sense that Hana might make the first blow if all goes accordion to plan.

Also, made a slight update to Sam's profile.. just a new choice in theme song. I culdn't think of a god one earlier so I picked a random one by a band I liked before. This time, I not only like the badn and song, but the song makes more sense... especially if you watch the official music video and consider Sam's backstory.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:43 pm
Yeah, he didn't turn me off of it entirely, he just made me wary of going into places where, you know, it's their territory. If I saw someone runnin another demo thing in a more neutral place where I don't feel like the Hobbit in the dragon's den, then I'd definitely do it. I've actually flipped through some of the books - but only glossing over, not to memorize, and skipping over most of the mechanics stuff. I did a different roleplay sorta based on D&D (just the universe, not using the rules), where I created a... I forget the name, but she was some kind of demon - Tiefling? - warlock, and there were Elf rangers and other such characters (I didn't actually create the character, I just borrowed her). I read up about the race, the character class and the spells.

Hey, I've dabbled a bit in nuclear engineering, sorta kinda. ^_^; It was engineering, and it was in a nuclear reactor, so it counts. ^_^ Wasn't Navy though (wasn't even Air Force, which is my branch of choice ^_^). But close enough for cookies.

Hana is probably generally going to be the first-strike girl of the group. ^_^; It's sort of her thing, given her fighting style, and she's also quite aggressive. She's not so much "shoot first and ask questions later" as she is "shoot first, then shoot second, third and fourth - if anything's still moving, ask questions to find out why it's still moving, then shoot again". Naturally, she wouldn't put it this way - she would put it in more flowery terms about truth, justice and duty - but that's more or less how it works out.

So, when she ultimately strikes, all I do is roll that d20, and you'll know the AC of the enemy. No problem.  

Aenakume

Jerohan

Blessed Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:52 pm
Neutral territory, eh? Hmm... it's a long shot, and unconventional, but try your local library. Up until recently that's where me and my friends got together. Our libarary has little private rooms for group meetings or study sessions, and thayre also commonly used for D&D groups. Take advantage of the money you shell out in taxes, I say.

And, yeah, it was Tiefling. Devil blood in the veins (though not half-devil). D&D also has a huuuuuge difference between devils and demons.

Yeah, thats about it. d20 all the way, baby!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:52 pm
I wonder if I should make an intro post for Hana.... It might actually work out better if I don't.  

Aenakume

Jerohan

Blessed Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:55 pm
Hmm, possibly... In that case I'll make a start tomorrow with Sam, and start poking Tao with a stick to get her attention. Tomorrow, though. Its almost 1 in the morning for me right now and I got class tomorrow.

Night.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:26 pm
By the way, what does Sam look like? I mean in rough terms. I assumed that Hana would see him as a wrestler type or bouncer type (on sheer size alone, not necessarily because of any muscle - and bearing in mind that she's not used to average American people's height). But i mean, if we saw him on the street, what would we think? Computer/anime geek type (with the glasses, scruffy beard and bad sense of style)?

And is he the stereotypical (to Japanese) blonde-haired-blue-eyed American?  

Aenakume

Jerohan

Blessed Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:43 pm
Well... Imagine a guy thats over three hundred pounds, mostly fat, with dark brown hair and brown eyes. He would come off as somewhere between the geek type and the lumberjack type. Though his clothes tend to indicate geek more. Also, lots of body hair where it can be seen; the forarms, and a little bit of the chest.

So tall, fat, hairy ********. Like a bear with glasses and a manga in one hand. (Note on Sam: even when he becomes a girl, he will have a book on him 90% of the time. Usually stuffed into a pocket.)  
-=|The Literate Yuri and Shoujo-ai Guild|=-

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff