Darkwave... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:57 pm
It's in the same happy family with goth rock, death rock, ethereal, coldwave, and dark cabaret, but since there is a greater emphasis on electronics in dark wave than death rock, I wouldn't exactly say that they're the same.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:40 am
6R07
Sure, darkwave and goth... but darkwave and deatrock? question

Faith and the Muse...

William Faith was in Christian Death.

Anyways, all 3 are somewhat connected.

Resurrected is right.

Best Darkwave band: Attrition  

Ether-Eating Eskimo

Lucretia My Reflection
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:11 am

Well, wouldn't Coldwave follow under the connection of the 3? It sounds heavily inspired by Goth in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:15 pm
********* Vial

Well, wouldn't Coldwave follow under the connection of the 3? It sounds heavily inspired by Goth in my opinion.

According to GilAskan, it did inspire Darkwave somewhat, but it wasn't actually part of the goth movement like the rest. I suppose you could consider it part of the group though.  

Ether-Eating Eskimo

Vernian Process

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:35 pm
I think that Darkwave and Deathrock have more than a few passing similarities. For one thing they both fall on the outskirts of the scene.

Darkwave to me needs to have a dark atmospheric style, and their are a number of bands from other genres that I feel fit the style well. Some Industrial like Forma Tadre, and Project Pitchfork fit, while Goth-Rock bands like Faith and the Muse, and Mephisto Walz (which are both also Deathrock at times).

But my favorite kind of Darkwave is the symphonic influenced stuff like early Clan of Xymox, This Mortal Coil, Dead Can Dance (hell the whole mid 80's 4AD catalog for that matter). As well as later artists like Malign, and Oneiroid Psychosis. Their also seems to be a lot of similarities to Trip-Hop. I often mix artists like Massive Attack, Portishead, Hooverphonic, and Mono with my Darkwave sets.

I made a Darkwave comp (like my Coldwave one) last year. Here's the tracklisting:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It was supposed to represent the various facets and many faces of Darkwave. From the Ethereal, Middle Eastern, Tribal, Baroque/Classical, and Industrial realms.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:19 pm
Vernian Process
I think that Darkwave and Deathrock have more than a few passing similarities. For one thing they both fall on the outskirts of the scene.

Darkwave to me needs to have a dark atmospheric style, and their are a number of bands from other genres that I feel fit the style well. Some Industrial like Forma Tadre, and Project Pitchfork fit, while Goth-Rock bands like Faith and the Muse, and Mephisto Walz (which are both also Deathrock at times).

But my favorite kind of Darkwave is the symphonic influenced stuff like early Clan of Xymox, This Mortal Coil, Dead Can Dance (hell the whole mid 80's 4AD catalog for that matter). As well as later artists like Malign, and Oneiroid Psychosis. Their also seems to be a lot of similarities to Trip-Hop. I often mix artists like Massive Attack, Portishead, Hooverphonic, and Mono with my Darkwave sets.

I made a Darkwave comp (like my Coldwave one) last year. Here's the tracklisting:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It was supposed to represent the various facets and many faces of Darkwave. From the Ethereal, Middle Eastern, Tribal, Baroque/Classical, and Industrial realms.

I have to say, those are some nice choices. Which reminds me...

I just bought Psycho Magnet (London After Midnight) and Dantes Kitchen (Attrition), then went to Borders again and got Clan of Xymox's Farewell. Woohoo.  

Ether-Eating Eskimo

Deathrock

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces