Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Intellectuals Confederation

Back to Guilds

A guild providing grounds in which intelligible discussions may be held, serious issues debated, and other general topics be discussed 

Tags: Intelligent, Anti-Spam, Anti-Twilight, Social, Polite 

Reply Literature: Reading and Writing
What would you say makes a marvelous Vampyre novel?(Legends)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xXxThe_Lady_Of_ChaosxXx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:04 pm
[/First and foremost I would like to discuss the controversial topic of what makes for the most amazingly splendid Vampyric Novels? There are many criteria that make a marvelous Vampyric novel. What are some of your opinions? Another topic held within this forum is what do you know about the myths and legends of the Vampyric nature? I, myself, are well endowed when it comes to the many legends reguarding the Nosferatu or better yet known as the Vampyre. Everyone keeps telling me that the acturate spelling of Vampyre is Vampire, when the olden tongue pronouces it the way I spell it. The creature is known throughout the world by different names and such, and one way of spelling Vampire is the way I spell it. It is the more olden version instead of the modern tongue that is spoken now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:19 pm
Well, as far as vampiric lore goes I know almost nothing. I have heard that the legend of the vampire originates from the infamous Vlad the Impaler, who allegedly did consume human blood in the hopes that it would prolong his youth.

As for what makes a good book relating to vampires...well I suppose it varies from person to person, its a matter of opinion really, but catching the basics of what can make any novel great (or at least readable) would be a good start. Create, interesting, multi dimensional characters, give them complex emotions, and give them flaws to make them seem real, nobody is perfect. I find that during the events of a novel, its main characters should learn from the experiences they go through, evolve as characters and be different people to a greater or lesser extent by the novels conclusion.

Vampire novels should always be dark, and even a little disturbing, you want your readers to see the dark side of the monster, not the good.

Be careful when your choosing your settings as well, as that can have a huge impact on the way your story will grow.  

Omnipotent Uncertainties
Captain

Talkor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:56 pm
For vampiric lore I could ramble on and on, but I won't cause that's not what this is about.

A good vampire book need to be, like Omnipotent said, dark. It's a must. Twilight isn't. And they need to stick at least SOME of the lore. Twilight doesn't. And the vampire, unless the author is actually capable of this, should never be a protagonist. Twilight sucks.

Anne Rice did the vampire "protagonist" right, mostly because Louis wasn't really a "protagonist". In some of the World of Darkness novels where vampires were the main characters it was because they were originally RPs that someone wrote up and they were done from the perspective of the vampires.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:25 pm
Personally in my honest opinion a Vampyric creature has the ability to either be an antagonist persay or a protagonist because in my belief Vampyres could either be benevolent or malevolent because I say they have the compacity to choose, in my novels at least. There are malevolent Vampyres and Benevolent Vampyres. I agree with both of you one hundred percent about the Anti-Twilight I could not stand Twilight. I detest it with a passion! Vampyric people do not sparkle; every true Vampyric fan should know this. Twilight has give the Nosferatu a undeserved reputation. I agree with what makes a good Vampyre novel, and that is what I try to do within my works.

If you can you should stop by the "Arena" and check out my exert from a novel of mine called Journey Destined. It is a Fan-Fiction of Dracula, yet I must defend myself and say that it is not a beginner at the writing game. I have been writing since I was the youthful age of fourteen, and I taught myself everything I know. I also have a non-fiction article called "Gay Rights: right or wrong." It is my honest opinion about why homosexual marriage should be legalized.

(The tags for Journey destined are "Vampire, Dracula, Journey, Fiction." It is a five star piece so far, and the lower four point seven article should be under "Marriage, Article, Articles, gayrights.")[/b  

xXxThe_Lady_Of_ChaosxXx

Invictus_88

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:18 pm
The ability to spell vampire?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:37 pm
Invictus_88
The ability to spell vampire?
The proper way to spell vampire is wampir or sometimes wampyre.

It has since after being translated from German to French to English become "vampire".

Undead mythology is for some reason a favorite topic of mine.  

Talkor

Sir F. Nietzsche

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:16 am
Wampir? Proper way?

Interesting. Which English dictionary?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:37 pm
Sir F. Nietzsche
Wampir? Proper way?

Interesting. Which English dictionary?

The one where the wampir is a GERMAN myth. Wampir isn't an English word it's a German word and is the name of the myth which turned into the modern vampire.

Wampir is pronounced the same as vampire.  

Talkor

Lord Talavar of Oz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:36 pm
I'm going to ignore the nonsense over the spelling of it, because it should be clear what we're talking about no matter how someone spells it. I don't care if it's spelled fhampirhe, I think we know what we're talking about.

Anyway, I think there's two key things that are often lost among even some of the better vampire fiction.

1. A vampire's attack must have some weight. If a vampire kills somebody, it should make ripples through the lives of everyone that mattered to that somebody. If a teenage girl is killed by a vampire, we should feel, and see, the aftermath. The funeral, the hard times for her family. Too often these days, victims are written off as nothing more than expendable bodies, but we must be reminded that, no matter what the person may have been like in life, they were someone's daughter, or son, or brother, or father, or sister. Someone, somewhere, loved them, and it's rare these days that we truly get a sense of how terrible and tragic a vampire attack can be. So many authors are so wrapped up in making the vampire a protagonist, that we can't see how that vampire manages to affect the lives of the people left in it's wake.

2. All it takes to shatter a community is one vampire. A lot of people have forgotten why the idea of many vampires is so frightening. I think that, if a society of vampires is really going to be bought as a truly terrifying concept, or heck, even just a plague of vampirism, then it needs to be established how dangerous an individual vampire can be. Once we get an idea of how frightening a lone vampire is, the idea of a whole bunch of them will seem even more frightening and amazing.  
Literature: Reading and Writing

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games