Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Intellectuals Confederation

Back to Guilds

A guild providing grounds in which intelligible discussions may be held, serious issues debated, and other general topics be discussed 

Tags: Intelligent, Anti-Spam, Anti-Twilight, Social, Polite 

Reply Literature: Reading and Writing
Have you ever read a really good Fan Fiction?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Omnipotent Uncertainties
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:28 pm
To clarify, the really is very important in this particular thread.

Most of us are quite familiar with the nature of fan fiction, but for those of you who have no idea what fan fiction actually is, it is essentially when a fan of a particular work of fiction by an established writer/director/designer
takes upon themselves the rather weighty burden of creating an entirely new scenario based on the original creators works. These works usually manifest themselves as written stories, usually no longer than a few chapters. Fan Fictions can take place before or after the events in the original work of fiction, or may take place during an intermission period that the original creator left blank and unaccounted for.

More extreme Fan Fictions create alternative scenarios of the original work in which the outcome of certain events, or the over all work, are changed, though for obvious reasons, taking such creative liberties is a heavily frowned upon practice.

In any case, to those of you who are aware of fan fiction, have you ever read any? And more to the point, have you ever read any that, are in fact, successful at executing the considerable feat of recreating the characters and world of the original piece, without the final product sounding like self-indulgent tripe?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:28 pm
Best fan-fiction I've ever read are actually the Resident Evil novels based on the games. Otherwise I've never read a single good fan-fic, granted I don't exactly go looking for them.  

Talkor

ze proffezionalle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:08 pm
Doctor Yueh
Best fan-fiction I've ever read are actually the Resident Evil novels based on the games. Otherwise I've never read a single good fan-fic, granted I don't exactly go looking for them.

Pretty much. I stopped reading fics after I lost interest in..well, a lot of things. S.D. Perry's novelization of RE is nice though, and the series imitates the suspense and panic in the game so it's pretty much done well. If I had to say it was weak, it'd be because it seems Perry has a limited range of word choices, and sometimes there were weird moments of attraction between characters that I found odd.
But! I remember reading an especial fan fiction about a mafia series that I tried to keep up with, at least until I realized that I lack the patience to read an indefinitely-continuous story. The author was successful at recreating the characters, and I mean really recreating. They were more interesting and had more depth than the characters in the original series themselves. They had internal conflicts, individualistic thoughts and goals and actually fit the concepts of tragic and/or anti-heroes. I found it to be more of an attempt to redo a good story into one that wasn't so much bravado and more realistic portrayal (e.g. people get shot and actually die scared instead of spit out a smartass one-liner and survive off sheer fearlessness).  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:08 pm
A lot of the FanFictions I have come across are simply fanservice or couple-related...
I have read several good Trigun fanfictions, though...

Bittersweet Reveries

Anxious Bookworm

Omnipotent Uncertainties
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:04 am
Doctor Yueh

Yes, I actually rather liked those works myself, though I must agree with ze proffezionalle on the matter of Perry's limited vocabulary, though I thought the moments of attraction gave a nice quality to the characters, showing more than their fear, and gifting them with some humanity.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:11 am
ze proffezionalle
Doctor Yueh

Pretty much. I stopped reading fics after I lost interest in..well, a lot of things. S.D. Perry's novelization of RE is nice though, and the series imitates the suspense and panic in the game so it's pretty much done well. If I had to say it was weak, it'd be because it seems Perry has a limited range of word choices, and sometimes there were weird moments of attraction between characters that I found odd.
But! I remember reading an especial fan fiction about a mafia series that I tried to keep up with, at least until I realized that I lack the patience to read an indefinitely-continuous story. The author was successful at recreating the characters, and I mean really recreating. They were more interesting and had more depth than the characters in the original series themselves. They had internal conflicts, individualistic thoughts and goals and actually fit the concepts of tragic and/or anti-heroes. I found it to be more of an attempt to redo a good story into one that wasn't so much bravado and more realistic portrayal (e.g. people get shot and actually die scared instead of spit out a smartass one-liner and survive off sheer fearlessness).

That actually does sound quite good proffezionalle, what was the original series, can you remember?

Bittersweet: Agreed, any work of fiction that bubbles with romance, despite it not being strictly a romantic work, tends to attract swarms of fan author's.

Take this for instance, 210 pages of Romantica based on the TV series "Bones"......oh the unending joy....  

Omnipotent Uncertainties
Captain

ze proffezionalle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Omnipotent Uncertainties
That actually does sound quite good proffezionalle, what was the original series, can you remember?

Bittersweet: Agreed, any work of fiction that bubbles with romance, despite it not being strictly a romantic work, tends to attract swarms of fan author's.

Take this for instance, 210 pages of Romantica based on the TV series "Bones"......oh the unending joy....

Sadly enough, I actually can't remember because I'd found it my freshman year in high school. I even searched up names but they didn't seem to be right! Phooey.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:14 am
ze proffezionalle
Omnipotent Uncertainties

Sadly enough, I actually can't remember because I'd found it my freshman year in high school. I even searched up names but they didn't seem to be right! Phooey.

Ah, what a shame.  

Omnipotent Uncertainties
Captain

ze proffezionalle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:28 am
Omnipotent Uncertainties
Ah, what a shame.

Wait, I'm mistaken! It was The Boondock Saints. Which..isn't a series. My brain must be poop.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:17 am
ze proffezionalle
Omnipotent Uncertainties
Ah, what a shame.

Wait, I'm mistaken! It was The Boondock Saints. Which..isn't a series. My brain must be poop.

Ive heard of that before! But I can't remember weather or not people said it was bad or good....haha, you must not be sleeping to well lately proffezionalle.  

Omnipotent Uncertainties
Captain

ze proffezionalle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:54 am
Omnipotent Uncertainties
Ive heard of that before! But I can't remember weather or not people said it was bad or good....haha, you must not be sleeping to well lately proffezionalle.

Yeah, no, huh? Bed at 5am, up six hours later. What am I doing to myself?!
It's hard to say, since audiences tend to be extreme about that particular film. The first time I saw it, I loved it, but upon reflection I found the fic to be much, much better. Beware?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:44 am
I am a huge H.P. Lovecraft and people have been writing fan fiction for years know as Cthulhu Mythos. Their is lots of good stories out there and even some by famous authors like Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, and Clive Barker. You could even argue that the Evil Dead Series is a fan fiction movie.  

DenvoPryde

3,800 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Kismet Hitsuzen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:00 pm
May I direct your attention to this?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:45 pm
Kismet Hitsuzen

This one made me giggle a little...

..although, I have read one really awesome and well-written Lord of the Rings fanfiction on Fanfiction.net. Not in book form, but oh my gosh it could be so worthy of it...

Eldarwen Half-Elven

Omnipotent Uncertainties
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:53 am
Kismet Hitsuzen

Does raise a surprisingly valid point. Thanks KH wink  
Literature: Reading and Writing

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff