over-soul

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AbrAbraxas
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:11 am
this is a quote from an essay written by R.W. Emerson called over soul and quoted in the book that i am now reading; Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda
i dont know how much of a topic it will prove to be but i figured it would be a pleasurable and stimulating quote for the guild members.

"A man is a facade of a temple wherein all wisdom and all good abide. What we commonly call man, the eating, drinking, planting, counting man, does not, as we know him, represent himself, but misrepresents himself. Him we do not respect; but the soul, whose organ he is, would he let it appear through his actions, would make our knees bend ... We lie open on one side to the deeps of spiritual nature, to all the attributes of god."  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:28 pm
AbrAbraxas
this is a quote from an essay written by R.W. Emerson called over soul and quoted in the book that i am now reading; Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda
i dont know how much of a topic it will prove to be but i figured it would be a pleasurable and stimulating quote for the guild members.

"A man is a facade of a temple wherein all wisdom and all good abide. What we commonly call man, the eating, drinking, planting, counting man, does not, as we know him, represent himself, but misrepresents himself. Him we do not respect; but the soul, whose organ he is, would he let it appear through his actions, would make our knees bend ... We lie open on one side to the deeps of spiritual nature, to all the attributes of god."

interesting... haven't really thought about this before but i must say that i agree...  

MegaTherion777

germanicus2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:33 pm
this could be beautiful..or this could be the noble lie.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:16 am
germanicus2
this could be beautiful..or this could be the noble lie.

if reality is even partially illusory, then would it really matter? wouldn't a positive illusion make life better?

previous statement aside, we should not take as proof the words of others but use them as a guide as to where to look, then it is our duty, if we are so inclined, to find though earnest, sincere efforts to look to the depths of reality and through experiment find what is true for us.

also, where i see many people draw assumptions about man and any notion of good nature is the amount of evil that has been wrought by the hands of man. where there is good there is the possibility of evil, if there were neither good nor evil then perhaps we would live as plants and animals, but it would seem that we posses evolutionary traits incorporating the reptilian mind which keeps us alive, the mammalian mind which allows for emotion and relationship between subject and object, and a thinking mind which remembers and is capable of making choices. if there were not good or evil we would not be making choices, but there is and that gives even more importance to the concepts of good and evil. we have a choice of what we can seek in life, we can choose the light of an increasing awareness or the darkness of increasing unconsciousness.  

AbrAbraxas
Crew

Philosophy Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces