Reply Philosophy Threads
Maniacs Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deaths Krow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:55 pm
I am a geomaniac, pyromaniac, hydromaniac, atmomaniac, biomaniac and necro maniac (not necrophiliac, big difference).

What are you?

Here are my own ideas of that these titles mean:

Geo: Earth, I love rocks dirt and earth stuff in general.

Pyro: Everyone knows this one, FIRE! Oh so warm it is.

Hydro: Water, the bain of fire, and mostly cold. But it's still fun.

Atmo: Air. That thing you breath in your lungs that lets you live.

Bio: Life, you gotta love life if you're living it.

Necro: Death, a dread facination with it that makes it so I can't wait to die just so I know what it's like, but at the same time I love life so much that I don't want to die just yet.

So yeah, what are your ideas, I want to know.

Rules: No debating or put downs, just ideas, discussion time now. NO FIGHTING!!!!! scream  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:38 am
well i am not trying to put you down or argue... but i think your use of these terms might be a little off. i think the suffix -phile might be more accurate, though i dont know you well. the suffix -phile has the meaning of one who has a great affinity or strong preference, while -maniac is an uncontrollable and excessive desire for the object.

i am certainly a bibliophile, theophile (made that one up), Gnosisphile. how do you like those?

Phile- strong affinity or love of

Biblio- books

Theo- god

Gnosis - knowledge and/or self knowledge

good day  

AbrAbraxas
Crew

27x
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:52 pm
I am a:

Oigamiac,

and a reflectadon.

I am also partly a:

person who doesent care much about anything.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:55 am
yay! I like this. I can't answer now. I just wanted to say YAY!

Good show domokun  

Necera

Deaths Krow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:06 pm
AbrAbraxas
well i am not trying to put you down or argue... but i think your use of these terms might be a little off. i think the suffix -phile might be more accurate, though i dont know you well. the suffix -phile has the meaning of one who has a great affinity or strong preference, while -maniac is an uncontrollable and excessive desire for the object.

i am certainly a bibliophile, theophile (made that one up), Gnosisphile. how do you like those?

Phile- strong affinity or love of

Biblio- books

Theo- god

Gnosis - knowledge and/or self knowledge

good day

Necrophile: Necrophiliac, person who does it with dead people.

Necromaniac: obsession with death. There is a big differenece with those.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:27 pm
Necromancer means one who talks to dead people right?  

27x
Crew

AbrAbraxas
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:19 am
Necrophile: Necrophiliac, person who does it with dead people.

Necromaniac: obsession with death. There is a big differenece with those.

thats fine if you are obsessed, necrophile is one who loves death, or as you put it makes love to the dead yes, it is good that you make that distinction. perhaps there is some latin root neither of us is aware of that is a middle ground.

a pyromaniac is one obsessed with fire, often also being an arsonist, either intentional or unintentional.

i was nto disputing you, i just think maniac is a bit extreme, going by definition it denotes or implies psychosis and i dont believe that is what you are trying to say, but i could be wrong.
good day  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:38 pm
Pyro?

HAHAHAH now I finally know why spyro has such a stupid name.  

27x
Crew

Deaths Krow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:04 pm
I_27_04

A necromancer is one who controls the dead. And I guess, that yeah they can talk to the dead that they raise.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:01 am
All7
I_27_04

A necromancer is one who controls the dead. And I guess, that yeah they can talk to the dead that they raise.

a necromancer is a sorcerer who practices magic concerning the dead, in history more often to talk with the dead or cause death, also summoning and control of spirits. but in fantasy that extends to resurrection and bodily control of dead. and it can extend in any way your imagination wishes. Also another necromancer concern is extension of life, even to the point of the unnatural state of becomeing a lich, a type of undead wizard, or magical creature, whose life is extended due to a magic spell in which a part of the body is removed, often a finger, and the spirit is anchored to this talisman and the only way to die is if it is destroyed. for more necromancer lore see some Dungeons and dragons books, there are a few that specialize in undead and necro-wizardry, or find a good novel.  

AbrAbraxas
Crew

27x
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:07 pm
You guys need to go back to your english class, and get some flash cards on greek and latin root words.

Necro means something that has to do with the dead, and mancer has to do with talking, or speaking.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:56 am
I_27_04
You guys need to go back to your english class, and get some flash cards on greek and latin root words.

Necro means something that has to do with the dead, and mancer has to do with talking, or speaking.

excellent point, that is the origin but since there have been, i suppose you could call it, a mythology that has built up around the concept of a necromancer and it really depends on what sources you want to consider. i used to play a lot of role playing games so i have a different understanding and concept of what a necromancer can be, but of course as i said before that is a fantasy perspective.

No doubt a necromancer is simply that, i would like to meet that Edwards guy who had that stupid tv show and call him a necromancer to his face, but thats another story.
good day  

AbrAbraxas
Crew

Deaths Krow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:39 pm
Hey I'm just goin' off what I read in my books. The books I read just happened to have the necromancers be people you ran from death and escaped it to live for as long as they could until it caught up with them, and then they used armies of undead to fight their enemies, who were in practice like anti-necromancers.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:27 pm
There is a light side and dark side to everything. In most scifi/fantacy books games and movies, necromancers are the opposing forces of mages, and usually controll the dead, or life in general, and are basically evil wizards.

I suppose necromancer is whatever you want it to be.  

27x
Crew

Deaths Krow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:52 pm
Good and evil are both what you make of them as well, and so are light and dark. You could be dark, but have stereotypical good intentions.  
Philosophy Threads

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff