Reply Philosophy Threads
Variations between individual cognizance

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

aaaaafkp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:04 pm
Posted this on the Psychology and Sociology forum.
One person told me I answered my own question.
The other, went into depth of the subject, yet did not answer the question.

Psychology question, kind of hypothetical:

Our brains are constructed in a methodical fashion from birth-- save medical anomalies. Our brains are not identical, but we undoubtedly know they are similar, because we are all humans. Therefore neurons are transmitted in a uniform fashion, yet at different rates and amounts depending on the response from our external stimuli.
We know we are different from our upbringing, instilled morals, unique experience...

arrow The question is: to what degree do you believe we as humans can be/are different from one another?
arrow arrow (reworded, 'cause I think this is a bit more specific): How greatly can our similar brains/external stimuli mold our (seemingly atypical) nature? You recapped my hypothetical question in more depth, I think.

A bit more analysis for this guild:
We have JUNG personality types. We have our binary gender spectrum. We have our past, and we have our nature.
Leave it to these things and define them, how dynamic as a whole do you think we really could be? If you minimize concepts, you realize they are only stemming from a few primordial concepts.

What is a response to this? I'm asking all of you. The thought of it gets my head... fuzzy.
An even better question? Who cares? =P  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:03 am
I have a better questoin, and not only that but I have an awnser my friend.

What makes our brains different.

1.biological
2.medical
3.parenting
4.memories
5.gender
6.lifestyle
7.soul

I may be wrong. In fact, I see alot of new faces. I challenge you. Prove me wrong!. I don't mean to mock you, but you have all become passive agressive. Though this is a place of civil discussiong, there has to be confrontation at some point. Compete with me! We will both learn from the experience.  

27x
Crew

AbrAbraxas
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:46 am
I will try and present a new frame within which we might see this differently. Ken Wilber is a revered modern philosopher and he has developed a model into which nearly anything fit and through which you can see a more full integral view of anything. Without a lengthy explanation i will try to present the basics of this four quadrant model.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Each of the quadrants relates to a different aspect of an issue simply labeled I, WE, IT and ITS.

I, is the individual subjective factor, could be considered the soul, it is the place where all of our inner growth occurs, how you act and react, how you perceive and interpret, free will, choice

WE, is culture, the group that we belong to, family and community, this is the influence of parenting and peer opinions, a shared world view.

IT, is the bodily organism, our physical nature, in this case chemical and biological factors, brain, hormones, glands, and gender as it is mostly a chemical and physical issue.

ITS, is society and systems outside of cultural bounds, the structure and functions of humanity and beyond, systems studies.

now this is a paraphrased and simplified version of ken wilbers theory and i would recommend to anyone a little more research to utilize this for your self. his book A Theory of Everything and A Brief History of Everything are both good introductions as he has published a great volume of work pertaining to integral living and the integral movement.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:39 pm
AbrAbraxas
I will try and present a new frame within which we might see this differently. Ken Wilber is a revered modern philosopher and he has developed a model into which nearly anything fit and through which you can see a more full integral view of anything. Without a lengthy explanation i will try to present the basics of this four quadrant model.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Each of the quadrants relates to a different aspect of an issue simply labeled I, WE, IT and ITS.

I, is the individual subjective factor, could be considered the soul, it is the place where all of our inner growth occurs, how you act and react, how you perceive and interpret, free will, choice

WE, is culture, the group that we belong to, family and community, this is the influence of parenting and peer opinions, a shared world view.

IT, is the bodily organism, our physical nature, in this case chemical and biological factors, brain, hormones, glands, and gender as it is mostly a chemical and physical issue.

ITS, is society and systems outside of cultural bounds, the structure and functions of humanity and beyond, systems studies.

now this is a paraphrased and simplified version of ken wilbers theory and i would recommend to anyone a little more research to utilize this for your self. his book A Theory of Everything and A Brief History of Everything are both good introductions as he has published a great volume of work pertaining to integral living and the integral movement.
Awesome. This is what I was looking for. Thank you.  

aaaaafkp

aaaaafkp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:43 pm
I_27_04

1.biological
2.medical
3.parenting
4.memories
5.gender
6.lifestyle
7.soul

I may be wrong. In fact, I see alot of new faces. I challenge you. Prove me wrong!. I don't mean to mock you, but you have all become passive agressive. Though this is a place of civil discussiong, there has to be confrontation at some point. Compete with me! We will both learn from the experience.

I agree with all of the other ones except 6 and 7. Your lifestyle is because of other defined factors. It's only the outcome of your biological-etc. traits. And I hate to be a scrooge but there is no such thing a soul. It is simply reactions of your brain giving you inexplicable sensations. If one's aspirations, desires, and outlook is expressed as a 'soul', then that's also kinda left field.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:31 pm
Paracket
I_27_04

1.biological
2.medical
3.parenting
4.memories
5.gender
6.lifestyle
7.soul

I agree with all of the other ones except 6 and 7. Your lifestyle is because of other defined factors. It's only the outcome of your biological-etc. traits. And I hate to be a scrooge but there is no such thing a soul. It is simply reactions of your brain giving you inexplicable sensations. If one's aspirations, desires, and outlook is expressed as a 'soul', then that's also kinda left field.

Cause and effect...

I am a 24 year old man. every morning I get up at six, isntead of eight when I am supposed to because I want, for unknown reasons, to excell beyond my coworkers, then I don't eat breakfast, because I think the hunger will keep me awake, I go to work, show no anger, and always fake a smile, and a perfect laugh, that I spent two months infront of the mirror working on. At work, I do everything cheerfully without a care in the world, and go to every social event, just to suck up as much as I possibly can. It all gets better when I go out drinking untill 1, sometimes three.

I got worse and worse every week. After a couple of months I got fired, and got into drugs, after doing drugs I eveuntally hated myself and jumped off of a building.

Lifestyle can change the body, and the surroundings of anyone. If it is the cause, I can have many good and bad effects, these effects result in more memories, either good or bad, which change the self. That is why lifestlyes only go in one direction unless you change yours. Though I may be wrong.

Btw that was entirely a fictional example, I am only 13 and have never done any of those things.  

27x
Crew

aaaaafkp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:52 pm
I_27_04
Paracket
I_27_04

1.biological
2.medical
3.parenting
4.memories
5.gender
6.lifestyle
7.soul

Cause and effect...

I am a 24 year old man. every morning I get up at six, isntead of eight when I am supposed to because I want, for unknown reasons, to excell beyond my coworkers, then I don't eat breakfast, because I think the hunger will keep me awake, I go to work, show no anger, and always fake a smile, and a perfect laugh, that I spent two months infront of the mirror working on. At work, I do everything cheerfully without a care in the world, and go to every social event, just to suck up as much as I possibly can. It all gets better when I go out drinking untill 1, sometimes three.

I got worse and worse every week. After a couple of months I got fired, and got into drugs, after doing drugs I eveuntally hated myself and jumped off of a building.

Lifestyle can change the body, and the surroundings of anyone. If it is the cause, I can have many good and bad effects, these effects result in more memories, either good or bad, which change the self. That is why lifestlyes only go in one direction unless you change yours. Though I may be wrong.

Btw that was entirely a fictional example, I am only 13 and have never done any of those things.
Lifestyle? It sounds like a medical problem. Of depression. A severely depressed, introverted guy, who has incompetence issues and believes the world around him is superficial. (I'm feeling kind tonight.) Those things arise through perceptions/biology/history. The lifestyle itself isn't an element which can be responsible of an individual's primordial cognizance.

Hence I was brought up with morals, my body, my brain, my experience, but did I have a lifestyle before I had those things?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:18 pm
Yes. One placed right infront of you at first, by your parents. If you where infact brought up in any way at all, then you had a schedule, laid out for you at youth, and getting more changable as you get older.
However, you said part of your being brought up is experience. If every day you eat three bowls of ice cream(which still counts as part of a lifestyle), then you would get sick, then in your expereince, you would learn moderation of icecream, and perhaps life. Lifestyle affects your body, and external events that come back to you eveuntally, that give you experience, and your experience thusly comes back to change your lifestyle. A lifestyle is part of the choices you make, so it is still a part of you, and it will allways change with you, evolving into something new and better.

As for your soul. I believe that the soul is the real self, and for some reason had to much ability and power, and was put in the body to make life more solid, however couldn't controll it, and that the mind, is the interaction between the two, and that this interaction starts in a brain.
Then again that's just my belief.  

27x
Crew

Amenubis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:53 pm
Can lifestyle simply be "placed in front of" oneself? Even before proper intention is evident in a child, they will always have a choice to reject or accept, thus creating their own lifestyle. And though a parent does have involvement in this process, they by no means, dictate their lifestyle. Then again, "lifestyle" is something more implied, than to be objectified. It's a process, or present "way of being, through both past rejection and acceptance", which then becomes habitual in nature.

Perhaps lifestyle is fueled by ego, or the natural, unconscious desire to construct oneself according to ones present environment. For instance, when someone has an "open" lifestyle, they look to experience a new form of being through world culture, art, etc. But how much of this changes their core lifestyle? Do these new experiences BECOME a lifestyle? What then, is determined as lifestyle? Does the word exist, if I fail to acknowledge, or "abide" by it? Is it inescapable?  
Philosophy Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games