Welcome to Gaia! ::

[Enter Guild Name Here] -- Now in Funk'n Quake flavor!

Back to Guilds

Tags: Random, Coconut Duck Babies, Friendly, Funk, Quake 

Reply Main Forum
Song Wants You! Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you participate?
Yes! Ill contribute something
86%
 86%  [ 13 ]
Well, Ill support but not contribute
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, I dont have time
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, Im not interested
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Psh, thats the stupidest thing I ever heard of
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

songwriterscramp
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:18 pm
For a project to let people see the faces behind statistics.

Let me explain. Today one of my profs was talking about some disaster and how thousands of people have died. He couldnt remember exactly how many, but he said something to the effect of it being a "shocking number". I thought, "Not for most people. Its hard to conceptualize numbers."

And then it hit me. If I could get a thousand, or, more realistically, a hundred people to write or maybe draw something personal and compiled it in a book hopefully to actually be published, then I could show people what it means when 100 people are killed in an accident, war, genocidal act, etc. Its 100 lives, hopes, ambitions, visions, dreams and heartbeats, not just a one with two zeros.

So thats the project. All of those written and drawn pieces would be compiled and presented to the world as the face of statistics. It could be a poem, a song, a story, an essay, random thoughts, a photograph, a sketch, a painting, a comic or anything else you can think of.

Oh, and please spread the word around and outside of Gaia. I want as much diversity as possible.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:24 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Wow, Song, that's a amazing idea. I'll do it

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

ynattirb73
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Full closet 200

Antiq

Wild Bookworm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:24 pm
I don't swear, but that's effing brilliant gonk  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:37 pm
You really think so? redface Thanks!

I want to get people from different countries but Im not sure how to go about that... confused  

songwriterscramp
Vice Captain

ShirleyAMOR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:39 pm
OH MY GOD. That's amazing. And you're letting me be part of it? (:  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:40 pm
Hey, that IS a good idea! I think you should start by telling all of your family/friends about it. Run an ad for it in a newspaper. Once you get the first few hundred of items you could call your newspaper and tell them what you're doing, and hopefully get an article written about it. In the article have it include a way for people to send in their contributions. As you get more you can start telling larger newspapers until it really starts rolling. 3nodding  

Everlasting Chaos
Vice Captain

songwriterscramp
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:41 pm
@ Shirley: Of course 3nodding

@ Chaos: Yeah, I was thinking of starting with my uni newspaper. I know a girl who works for them, so Im sure shed run an article. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:00 pm

Web-method?
You've told us
and we all get our friends/people from our family to do it?

Oh:
I don't know what I'll do yet, but...when I'm done, do I just like
email/PM you? Or actually send it to you? whee

ynattirb73
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Full closet 200

Everlasting Chaos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:06 pm
Also, if I might make a suggestion, I would recommend against taking any digital submissions. Make sure everything you use was written/drawn/etc by hand. It'll have more of an impact if it isn't typed out on a computer. It seems much more human.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:06 pm
If its a picture you can either scan it or actually send it to me. Otherwise, pming it or emailing it to me is fine. 3nodding  

songwriterscramp
Vice Captain

ynattirb73
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:59 pm

I was thinking the same thing that Chaos was saying, but I didn't know what you wanted. xd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:03 pm
This is an amazing idea.
3nodding

Alabastor Pianostring

songwriterscramp
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:06 pm
I guess hand written would be cool... but it has to be legible. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:03 pm
I have a great picture of a heart on my hand drawn in someone else's blood, I want to do something with it but I'm not sure what.  

Night Of The Shadowraven

songwriterscramp
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:22 pm
The Legend Of Shadowraven
I have a great picture of a heart on my hand drawn in someone else's blood, I want to do something with it but I'm not sure what.
That could work. Im sure youll think of something. 3nodding  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces