Reply Gundam
Making the dream come true Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

siamknight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:10 am
After watching several Gundam series and taking some notes on the copit of Mobile Suits, I realised that it could be possible to built a real life mobile suit minus all the cool weapons. Out of all the Mobile Suit, narrow it down to either Zaku or a kapool due to the height and estimated weight of them.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:52 am
Uh. No. You're a ******** moron.
Wait til Ophiuchus gets on, he has a HUUUUGE rant he posts to things like this that proves you wrong on every single point. biggrin  

Cagalli Yura Attha
Crew

Ophiuchus
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:04 pm
[COCKPIT]
As seen, Mobile Suit cockpits are an array of joysticks, levers, gears, pedals and buttons. That apparently ALL do something. Oh, and a keyboard as well. Even if the suit was AUTOMATED so that moving a joystick a certain way made its arm move a certain way, and pulling off a fancy move was all a macro on a button push... There's way too much s**t in there for someone to be able to pilot.

Okay, think about this here. It stands at about the size of a skyscraper. It's not gonna be stealthy, and unless fighting somewhere it shouldn't, like a city of skyscrapers, it's not got any hiding places. The sheer SCALE of such a monstrosity as a mobile suit... like the punisher says "Whenever I see something big, and full of fuel - I can't help but think... what a target."

[POWER SOURCE]
Okay, going by UC thesis and real world physics, the thrusters for jumps run on combustible fuels. A Zaku alone can make 5 jumps in total before that runs out. Somehow within its body, it has the fuel to LIFT something of its weight that high into the air, yet it's not vulnerable if shot in any body parts, AND it still manages to fit all the mechanics of said leg or what have you into the frame. So it's somehow got a dimension pocket built into it to store fuel, or something, because there's NO WAY it can store that much. Next, onto power source for the actual unit. It's popular to use NUCLEAR power of some kind - fusion, fission... minovsky particles... Whatever. You need a HUGE reactor put into the suit, the size of a small HOUSE to power your unit for just a few hours. This reactor falls prey to the "what a target" theoryonce more. It's big, carrying volatile compounds, and it's in a position to get shot at.

[MOBILITY]
Yes, it's called a mobile suit, but something that big, bulky and heavy is anything BUT mobile. Average tests on something smaller than a man, then multiplied to that scale show that it'd only be able to average around 20 MPH. That is not mobile.

[COST]
Do you have ANY idea how much it'd cost to build? It's the size of like, 100 tanks, and would cost much, much more than that completely unlaiden without fuel, power source or weapons.
So, it's outmaneuvered, outnumbered, outgunned, and cannot hide.... Next

[NUMBERS]
As previously stated, you have a mech that costs more than 100 battle tanks. Yes, a mech can easily dispose of 5 or 6 tanks in close succession - they do it in the anime. But, they never go up against their EQUIVALENT VALUE in Tanks. You put a mech up against 250 tanks, i'll back the 250 tanks. The tanks get 250 shots at a target that can barely lift off the floor, can't move as fast as them, and can't go behind cover...

In closing.
Stop living a ******** dream, man. It's not real. We know it's not real. The whole point of the anime is to enjoy plot development and fictional warfare. It's fiction because it can't happen!  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:02 am
Ophiuchus
[COCKPIT]

Okay, think about this here. It stands at about the size of a skyscraper.

Stop living a ******** dream, man. It's not real. We know it's not real. The whole point of the anime is to enjoy plot development and fictional warfare. It's fiction because it can't happen!

*sigh* Ophi, of all the people (im not pissed with you or anything) but of all people, an MS is around 10 times the height of a man (18metres, here in Australia lol) not a skyscraper or even close to one, arent skyscrapers around 40metres+? And do you hate Gundam Wing, considering your attitude?  

twatmaster

Tenryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:50 am
does it matter if Ophi hates Wing or not? and besides i think what siamknight is implying here is that it might be plausible, but not practical... not by a long shot  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:01 am
twatmaster
Ophiuchus
[COCKPIT]

Okay, think about this here. It stands at about the size of a skyscraper.

*sigh* Ophi, of all the people (im not pissed with you or anything) but of all people, an MS is around 10 times the height of a man (18metres, here in Australia lol) not a skyscraper or even close to one, arent skyscrapers around 40metres+? And do you hate Gundam Wing, considering your attitude? They must be making midget buildings in the future then. Think in 08th MS. They were as tall as MOST of the tower blocks.

And I hate people who think mobile suits are possible, not Gundam itself.  

Ophiuchus
Captain

Tenryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:32 am
Ophiuchus
They must be making midget buildings in the future then. Think in 08th MS. They were as tall as MOST of the tower blocks.

which episode are you reffering to?

and seriously where do you people get that a MS is the size of a skyscraper? if we assume that the model scaling is correct my Astray red frame 1/144(about 12.5cm tall) should stand about 18 meters tall on a 1/1 scale

but in light of this i would like to ask some one to define a skyscraper for me... if anyone is bothered  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:35 am
Must a building with multiple floors. You know, tower blocks? They're generally as high as those. Maybe skyscraper was the wrong word.
Either way, you know i'm right about MS being impossible.  

Ophiuchus
Captain

Tenryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:51 am
Ophiuchus
Must a building with multiple floors. You know, tower blocks? They're generally as high as those. Maybe skyscraper was the wrong word.
Either way, you know i'm right about MS being impossible.

i say skyscraper is definitely the wrong word because it would be suggesting that a MS is as tall as an Eva

and of course i know ur right about MS being impossible... its just that i find the size argument a bit mute  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:07 am
real mobile suits

hahaha!
Maybe you play too much arcade games where there is two control stick, and your in a cockpit looking thing

anyway, iono about you, but I recall in 0083: Stardust Memories, GP01 and 02 had valves... I am wondering wtf they do!  

Vivio1412

Ophiuchus
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:28 am
Barsona
real mobile suits

hahaha!
Maybe you play too much arcade games where there is two control stick, and your in a cockpit looking thing

anyway, iono about you, but I recall in 0083: Stardust Memories, GP01 and 02 had valves... I am wondering wtf they do!
I actually played an arcade game where you control some form of turret thing. You have two controls. One to move you, and the other to aim cannons. Even that was hard, and there wasn't mobility or anything.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:56 pm
Ophiuchus
Barsona
real mobile suits

hahaha!

I actually played an arcade game where you control some form of turret thing. You have two controls. One to move you, and the other to aim cannons. Even that was hard, and there wasn't mobility or anything.

there is a ZOID game that`s like that  

Vivio1412

Ophiuchus
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:12 pm
Barsona
Ophiuchus
Barsona
real mobile suits

hahaha!

there is a ZOID game that`s like that
I had a dream with a control system that WORKED. I can't remember it though. if I could, it'd make mechs a reality.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:21 pm
I was looking at nevrous system control device to make a fully functional artifical limb. Research is currently being done on that. The keyboards and joysticks would be to fire and basic forward and backward movement. Also the height would probably like a two story house any bigger would be bad.
Ophiuchus is right about the fact that I would be slow moving and that the power supply would be a hugh problem. Plus the fact that by putting a nuclear reactor in it would be suicide and a lot more costly. I don't like the fact of having a mini Chinoble could happen while riding it. Titatium alloy would be used to solve the weight problem.  

siamknight

siamknight

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:32 pm
I am just trying to built a basic unit to show off to people plus by looking at current technology of jet engines, there is no possible way to put something like that in it. I mean look NASA has to have those big rocket just to launch people into space. If I build prototype first and finalize it, a huge mob will come out of the woodworks just update and improve it, just like the Playstation or the iPod. We can do it but we need the money and dedication to do it.  
Gundam

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff