Poor Education

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

27x
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:15 pm
In the modern world, and I refer to many countries, not just the united states, we are at a loss as to how our children's grades are sinking lower and lower.

By all means, formulate your own opinions, as is is a very wide topic, but the following concept isn't the main area of discussion.(Often times I'll say my ideas, and everyone will just debate on that one idea, because they think that is the topic).

Anything run by the government, isn't as efficient as somethign run by people, except military, poliece, and other things that must be controlled appropriately.(though some may say this is wrong, you'll never have a proper society if people form their own poliece teams and arrest whoever they please) Most people attend public schools, and public schools are run by the government. Argo, the majority of education is second rate. Therefore, when you group the grades of the majority, they will always be bad, because atleast 51% of children are being taught improperly.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:33 am
I am not sure what this says about government, but I too have noticed that US School test scores are falling. However, at the same time, US School tests are being raised to a higher and higher standard. For example, multiplication is taught in 2nd grade now, where I was personally taught this in 4th grade. So perhaps, America is not getting dumber, but rather we are just staying the same and the world expects more from us.  

whynaut

dybo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:18 pm
I have to agree with whynaut on those points. The higher standard makes living up to it much harder.

Of course, if society is any proof, we are pretty dumb...but education isn't the problem there.

The problem with (public) education is that it requires EVERYONE to live up to its standards, not just those who chose to excell. As a member of the public education, I can assure that nothing the government does will fix education (except for making stupidity illegal lol ). Seriously, though. For most of the member of my class, the only goal they have is to graduate from high school, and some cannot be bothered to do that much. They just don't want to learn. Now, if education weren't mandatory...but I digress. Anyways, students decide to do poorly, fails test. Legislature sees poor scores, thinks something wrong with their method, change system. Standards are lowered, students accomidated. Student takes new test. Student fails. Repeat ad infinatum.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:54 pm
If that was true, we would all say, "I don't want to go to school, leave me at home and let me eat candy and play video games," if as children, we didn't legally have to educate ourselves.

Also, if it was only optional, paretns would still school their children.

"Gee, you don't have to put your kids into school, but you can if you want to."

The way I see it education is a nececity, but as we make mistakes, we lose some of our brightest people, and are more prone to those mistakes.  

27x
Crew

dybo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:06 pm
Huzzah for people who ignore the entire post only to pick out one line to destroy.

And, if school were optional, I'd still attend. I wasn't clear when I said to not make it mandatory. Make school free through, say 8th grade, with rigerous standards. Then, put an education requirment on voting that limits the right to vote to those who remained and passed 8th grade. There's an incentive to stay in school, and pay attention.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:33 pm
The reason I only replied to one line of your post is becase I didn't have any insight on anything else you said.

If I disagree with what you say, or have something interesting to say about it, then I usually reply.

If I replied to every part of your post, most of it would probably be filler.

However, having reread your post, I do agree that I may have overlooked some things, however I can assure you that I didn't just skim read it as you are implying.  

27x
Crew

dybo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:24 pm
Bleh. Just me being shallow. And sarcastic. And hypocritical (I only responded to one of your points). Meh, whatever. That's what I get for trying to think while tired. I can get snappish. And off-topic...

I agree, though. Education is necessary. Unfortunately, standards have gone by the wayside. Just about anyone can graduate.

By the way, I know a bunch of home-schooled kids, so your argument doesn't make the most sense: people home school anyways. Could you perhaps clarify?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:02 am
It's likewhen you drop a pebble into a pool. The pebble is a poor educated child, that becomes a teacher, and teaches 40 kids, who teach their children as babies, who teach their children as babies, and so on.  

27x
Crew

Oniko-inuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:22 am
27x

Anything run by the government, isn't as efficient as somethign run by people,

This doesn't make any sense, the government is people.

27x

Most people attend public schools, and public schools are run by the government. Argo, the majority of education is second rate. Therefore, when you group the grades of the majority, they will always be bad, because atleast 51% of children are being taught improperly.

Growing as a military brat I went to a number of public schools both DoDDS and civillian, and I have to say I didn't really see it as a bad quality of education but lazy students and parents with sense of entitlement ('how dare you fail my baby?') that undermined the system. Once one gets through other kids quit, why work when you don't have to, and it snowballs from there.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:41 pm
Oniko-inuki
27x

Well, with a private organization run by people, it is a bunch of people trying to controll one thing, be it education, charity work, or AIDS research.

A government, however, is a group of people trying to controll everything. That is why they can't do things right, because their recources are streatched too far, and thin.  

27x
Crew

x3 SuGarr CoOkiie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:44 pm
I am not sure why students are getting lower and lower scores. Perhaps it is because they are losing interest? It also depends on your neighborhood, certainly not all of the schools are failing schools and I do not know if scores as a whole are slumping as I have not looked up anything about it to be honest. Statistically the more wealthy you are the higher your test scores. Another thing that keeps students from succeeding is the fact that whatever label they are given from their teachers that label sticks weather you are a "good" student or not. For example if you are a student who is known to not do well in English then that is usually what is going stick to you and sometimes teachers don't look beyond those lables. Same thing goes for a student who usually succeedes in English. For example the teacher will be less likely to much -THAT- much effort in reading their last term paper because they think to themselves "oh well, they usually do well, this paper is probably well done too".  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:26 pm
27x
Oniko-inuki
27x

Well, with a private organization run by people, it is a bunch of people trying to controll one thing, be it education, charity work, or AIDS research.

A government, however, is a group of people trying to controll everything. That is why they can't do things right, because their recources are streatched too far, and thin.

What you describe is what happens when people depend on the government to do everything they want, but I don't believe that is the fundamental nature of a government. Otherwise yes, when government tries to controll everything it does get streched too thin.

As for your observation on private organizations, do you have any idea how many different things Disney (or example) has their fingers in? A corporation, especially one with lots of money, can get involved in a lot of different things beyond their initial interests.  

Oniko-inuki

27x
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:10 pm
Disney is a buisiness.

I'm talking about something like the salvation army.
Go green efforts.
Workplace training for unemployed adults.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:54 am
27x
Disney is a buisiness.

I'm talking about something like the salvation army.
Go green efforts.
Workplace training for unemployed adults.

Which are often underfunded and unable to reach their own goal within even their narrow field of interest.

Whereas a business (which is run by people, too) determines it's goals by the funds available, rather then setting a goal and then seeking the funds to meet it as can be seen in government and non-profit orgs, therefore appearing more efficient.  

Oniko-inuki

Philosophy Threads

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff