Reply Deathrock
"Indie" Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silent Manipulation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:18 pm
Obviously not deathrock however this guild doesn't seem to be very active right now. So what are some of your guys favorite post-punk and/or revival bands?

Edit: I am attempting to keep up with my thread (again), and it's easier to just include all genres regarded as indie.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:25 pm
I am a bit confused as to what post-punk revival is. Are we talking about big bands like The Killers or Interpool, who claim influences from Joy Division? Or does it consist of bands like Entertainment, The Prids, Phantom Limbs, The Vanishing and the like? I love the later.  

Adonais is Dead

Silent Manipulation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:04 am
Queen Pest
I am a bit confused as to what post-punk revival is. Are we talking about big bands like The Killers or Interpool, who claim influences from Joy Division? Or does it consist of bands like Entertainment, The Prids, Phantom Limbs, The Vanishing and the like? I love the later.

Basically bands that draw off of original post-punk sound. Yea Interpol and The Killers are part of it as well as some like She Wants Revenge, White Lies, Editors, Hatcham Social, KASMs etc.

A lot of them can have really different sounds, some are more influenced by the bigger post-punk acts. Others not as much, like KASMs draws heavily off the old goth and deathrock acts.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:48 am
I like the more mainstream revival but it seems like the really good stuff is, as usual, the local or underground stuff, or at least generally unheard of in America.

Glamour Shot
Love Of Diagrams
Violets (UK)
Film School
The Manhattan Love Suicides
Isa & the Filthy Tongues

It seems like a lot of revival bands like to mesh post-punk with shoegaze but I didn't post any bands that really did that (except Film School, but I thought they were way to good to ignore listing).

The Horrors new album seems to draw very heavily from post-punk, instead of garage rock like on their previous album. Scarlet Fields is a perfect example.  

Pein and Pleasure
Crew

Silent Manipulation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:05 am
Pein and Pleasure
I like the more mainstream revival but it seems like the really good stuff is, as usual, the local or underground stuff, or at least generally unheard of in America.

Violets (UK)

It seems like a lot of revival bands like to mesh post-punk with shoegaze but I didn't post any bands that really did that (except Film School, but I thought they were way to good to ignore listing).

The Horrors new album seems to draw very heavily from post-punk, instead of garage rock like on their previous album. Scarlet Fields is a perfect example.

I can't tell whether the singer from the Violets is trying to sound like Siouxsie on purpose or not. Either way she's probably the closest I've seen to her.

Besides that I liked The Horrors first album more, mostly because the fact they drew more off of garage.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:00 pm
Silent Manipulation
Pein and Pleasure

Violets (UK)

Besides that I liked The Horrors first album more, mostly because the fact they drew more off of garage.

Their first album was a lot of fun, but I don't mind this new direction (wish I could say the same for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs).

This blogspot has the Violets (UK) debut album as well as the Horrors new one.

http://disorderyan.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html  

Pein and Pleasure
Crew

Silent Manipulation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:34 pm
Pein and Pleasure
Silent Manipulation
Pein and Pleasure

Violets (UK)

Their first album was a lot of fun, but I don't mind this new direction (wish I could say the same for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs).

I downloaded both albums not too long ago, besides that I liked both of the albums. I like The Horrors new direction just not quite as much.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:43 am
Silent Manipulation
Pein and Pleasure
Silent Manipulation
Pein and Pleasure

Violets (UK)

I downloaded both albums not too long ago, besides that I liked both of the albums. I like The Horrors new direction just not quite as much.

I kind of feel the same, I like their new direction and sound but after listening to the album a couple times the songs aren't as entertaining as their previous works like Death In the Chapel.

These guys have really been growing on me

The Sunday Reeds  

Pein and Pleasure
Crew

Silent Manipulation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:49 pm
Pein and Pleasure
Silent Manipulation
Pein and Pleasure
Silent Manipulation
Pein and Pleasure

Violets (UK)

These guys have really been growing on me

The Sunday Reeds

They're not bad, it's just with their singer makes them really boring. They probably will end up growing on me, but until then meh. I'm more into the White Lies and Editors side of the revival.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:41 pm
I like post-punk revival, some bands and areas moreso than others... like, I'm not a big fan of the whole "dance punk" aspect of it, but there's some gems in there still.
And I like a couple of the more popular acts too, like Interpol and whatnot.

Some other names that come to mind are Editors, I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness, The Exploding Boy, Dream City Film Club, theStart, Sleepmask, Sugar Report, Night Kills the Day, Funeral Crashers, Film School, Glass Candy, Pins and Needles, White Rose Movement, Vale, Murder of Lilies, and etc  

Shadowolf

Vice Captain

Adonais is Dead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:08 pm
Shadowolf
I like post-punk revival, some bands and areas moreso than others... like, I'm not a big fan of the whole "dance punk" aspect of it, but there's some gems in there still.

Some other names that come to mind are Editors, I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness, The Exploding Boy, Dream City Film Club, theStart, Sleepmask, Sugar Report, Night Kills the Day, Funeral Crashers, Film School, Glass Candy, Pins and Needles, White Rose Movement, Vale, Murder of Lilies, and etc

What is dance punk?  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:56 am
Queen Pest
Shadowolf

What is dance punk?

Stuff like The Faint , Death From Above 1979 and LCD Soundsystem is apparently called Dance Punk now.  

Death of Cool

Adonais is Dead

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:58 pm
Death of Cool
Queen Pest
Shadowolf

What is dance punk?

Stuff like The Faint , Death From Above 1979 and LCD Soundsystem is apparently called Dance Punk now.

Huh, I haven't heard of those bands.
What makes it 'dance' punk, exactly? That just sounds so silly.  
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:39 am
Queen Pest
Death of Cool
Queen Pest
Shadowolf

What is dance punk?

Huh, I haven't heard of those bands.
What makes it 'dance' punk, exactly? That just sounds so silly.

It is silly. It's basically a mix of punk and disco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3rzUVAHVd4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPIVX44T9Zc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBAHSfjoFzs  

Death of Cool

Silent Manipulation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:10 pm
Bleh, I'm going to try and post links every so often to some good post-punk & new wave revival; hopefully most of it new(er). Anyways:
Plastic Passion
Neils Children
Theoretical Girl  
Deathrock

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out