Reply Religion
Kemetic Reconstructionism

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:55 am
There seem to be a lot of members of KO on this forum, but I'm wondering if there are people who are eclectic practitioners or don't follow the KO version of Egyptian religion? From the description of the guild it sounds like KO is the only modern interpretation of Egyptian religion, which is just not true. There are a few other online temples, though they might not be as active, and there are other forums for all types of Kemetic paths. I thought I would offer at least a couple that I know of to represent other options besides KO.

Children of Kemet:
http://kemetics.ning.com/
http://childrenofkemet.freeforums.org/portal.php

The Cauldron Special Interest Group (reformed Kemeticism):
http://www.ecauldron.net/forum/index.php?board=62.0

The last website I mentioned also has a really good list of Egyptology books to use as references.

If you're interested in meeting up with Egyptian religious practitioners, you might try meetup.com or witchvox.com to find people in your area.

I'm currently working on making a beginner's guide to Kemetic religion based on scholarly research, with some options on how one might go about making a modern practice. If there is anyone here willing to work on this project which involves a lot of self-directed research and writing, please let me know here or by pm.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:35 pm
While I'm a member of the KO, I consider myself a Kemetic Reconstructionist. I haven't quite seen where in this guild that people claim the KO is the "be all, end all" of this stuff. I do, however, agree it's more active and maybe more widely known for scholarly research than others. It's nice you've supplied these sites who those who aren't interested in the KO.

Lemme know if you publish your work. I'd be interested in reading it.

(edited to make more sense)  

A1Saucy

Devoted Codger

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:23 pm
4shi
While I'm a member of the KO, I consider myself a Kemetic Reconstructionist. I haven't quite seen where in this guild that people claim the KO is the "be all, end all" of this stuff. I do, however, agree it's more active and maybe more widely known for scholarly research than others. It's nice you've supplied these sites who those who aren't interested in the KO.

Lemme know if you publish your work. I'd be interested in reading it.

(edited to make more sense)

Guild Home page
In this Guild many things can be discussed like hieroglyphics, the royal family, food, religion (Kemetic Orphodoxy as it known today and worshipped), landscape and so on, you can also discuss about your voyages to Egypt and discuss what you learned and saw!

This is kinda what did it for me, along with the many posts on KO with nothing mentioned about other sects or temples except for a post made by WebenBanu whom I actually know from other Kemetic Recon. forums. smile

This will probably just be published online as a website instead of a book. I have some other great people who have volunteered their time to help make this project fruitful, but I hope others here who are interested will pm me.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:09 pm
Sophist

Guild Home page
In this Guild many things can be discussed like hieroglyphics, the royal family, food, religion (Kemetic Orphodoxy as it known today and worshipped), landscape and so on, you can also discuss about your voyages to Egypt and discuss what you learned and saw!

This is kinda what did it for me, along with the many posts on KO with nothing mentioned about other sects or temples except for a post made by WebenBanu whom I actually know from other Kemetic Recon. forums. smile

I will grant you the homepage message, but I stand by the rest of my comment about its notoriety. Notoriety doesn't always indicte "the only". If that were the case one would assume all of Regardie's works were published by Llewellyn.

I see "something online" still as a form of publishing, but am still willing to read it when it's out there.  

A1Saucy

Devoted Codger

WebenBanu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:33 am
I have noticed that where a forum is moderated by a member of KO, other temples are rarely mentioned- and I think that's sad, because I think we should be proud of all our community and the temples and groups which sustain it. I make a point whenever I am asked to mention as many temples and groups as possible. For some reason, though, once someone gets the idea that KO is a general term for Kemetic religion it's nearly impossible to explain to them that in fact Kemetic Orthodoxy- although hosting a large and thriving community, and several wonderful facilities- is simply one of many approaches to the religion, and specifically is not a reconstructionist form of the religion. I've brought up the the phrasing of that statement from the homepage- where it equates KO with modern Kemetic religion- a few times, but it remains the same.

I understand that many members of the House of Netjer identify as Kemetic reconstructionists, and I mean no offense to 4shi by saying that KO isn't! It's just that that particular misunderstanding is particularly widespread, and it took me a while to understand where KO was coming from when it said that it was not recon! Naturally the House does not and could not attempt to force all its members to agree with every point of theology, but it is worth noting that the official doctrine of Kemetic Orthodoxy is non-reconstructionist. KO is instead a revivalist approach to the religion, perceiving the ancient forms to have become lifeless and irrelevant enough over time that a traditional approach to the religion would no longer be meaningful. Instead, they base their practices with moderation on Egyptian templates, and incorporate several modern innovations to breathe life back into the practice.

As a reconstructionist I feel strongly that the traditional forms are very much full of life and relevance, if one takes the time to understand them. But I can understand where HoN is coming from, even if I don't agree.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:04 pm
I just stumbled on this thread again, but I'm not offended WebenBanu. I should have said that while I'm a member of the KO I don't consider myself a reconstructionist based on membership. I can see why people would get confused that way.

I guess other groups don't get mentioned because many members aren't aware of other groups. I'm not trying to condone it, I'm just guessing at this point.  

A1Saucy

Devoted Codger

Religion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces