Welcome to Gaia! ::

a written word - the new version!

Back to Guilds

a friendly atmosphere to discuss books, writing, and so much more! 

Tags: Book, Write, Read, Roleplaying, Random, and more!, Movies, Music, Sports, Food, Fan Fiction 

Reply "The only crime worse than burning books, is not reading them."
Have you ever bought a book twice? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LittleMissMayberrie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:17 pm
Have you ever bought a book twice?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:22 pm
I love books and my favorite thing is to go shopping for them.
Problem is I have a bad habit of rebuying books.
Even going so far as to take it home,crack it open,and get halfway through and realize...
Wait I've read this before!
I know the ending!
Ahhhhh! stressed

So i just wanted to know, anybody else ever done the same?  

LittleMissMayberrie

DreamingRoses1224

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:44 pm
Sorry. Not me. Movies though. I accidentally bought Ever After twice. I knew we had it on video tape, so I bought it on DVD. A couple weeks later, I saw it again and said, "We have it on video tape, but not DVD..." so I bought it... again. Now they sit side by side in my movie cabinet!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:21 pm
I've bought books twice. Mostly manga. Either the pages fell apart and I needed a new one, or I lost count of what volume I was up to and I accidentally picked up the last volume I had already bought.

But I like to keep my books a particular way. So when the pages get ripped or bent I get upset, especially if it's a book I really like. So I'll buy another of the same book for the satisfaction of having an undamaged copy.  

Rei Uchikino

Cyrus_the_Blackheart

5,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:35 pm
I was reading through a series, and I took about a six month break (or so I thought) and so I went out and bought the final book only to get home and start reading it and realizing that I'd already read this somewhere. Went into the room with my books, and there it was, sitting on my shelf right next to the other books in the series. I felt really stupid. I've done something similar a few times with series of books that I read.

By the way, don't ever go back to a store and demand a refund because you realized you already owned the book... they don't like it very much, even if you only ever buy your books from their store.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:08 pm
I've never bought a book twice
but I've been given a book that
I already owned before.
x3

Insomniac Doze

Annihilation Sky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:37 pm
I don't think I've ever brought the same book twice. I've brought books and been given the same book again before though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:37 pm
no, but i want to.
i want to buy a used copy of the perks of being
a wallflower
and use that copy to highlight my
favourite sayings in. i own a nice copy, but...

and my mum bought me a copy of the first
harry potter when i already owned one.
not sure if that counts.

solar molar

Dapper Fatcat

CYBizR0llin--KissMySass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:45 pm
Nope.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:11 pm
Cyrus_the_Blackheart
I was reading through a series, and I took about a six month break (or so I thought) and so I went out and bought the final book only to get home and start reading it and realizing that I'd already read this somewhere. Went into the room with my books, and there it was, sitting on my shelf right next to the other books in the series. I felt really stupid. I've done something similar a few times with series of books that I read.

By the way, don't ever go back to a store and demand a refund because you realized you already owned the book... they don't like it very much, even if you only ever buy your books from their store.

The trick to returning a book don't crack the spine or mark / bend any pages
and come back within a week.That way they believe you when you tell you didn't realize you already had it.  

LittleMissMayberrie

LittleMissMayberrie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:13 pm
Rei Uchikino
I've bought books twice. Mostly manga. Either the pages fell apart and I needed a new one, or I lost count of what volume I was up to and I accidentally picked up the last volume I had already bought.

But I like to keep my books a particular way. So when the pages get ripped or bent I get upset, especially if it's a book I really like. So I'll buy another of the same book for the satisfaction of having an undamaged copy.

Oh, wow, i do that too!
I can't stand when my books start to get tired-looking.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:20 pm
harlequinnmoon
Rei Uchikino

Oh, wow, i do that too!
I can't stand when my books start to get tired-looking.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Haha. :]  

Rei Uchikino

Saccharine Reminiscence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:09 pm
I re-bought the first two harry potter books so I had the whole series in hard cover. But I always double and triple check when I'm buying a book in a series to make sure that I get the right one that I need.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:12 pm
I do alot for multiple reasons:

someone gives me a paperback book or I want a book at the store bad and they only have paperback so I buy it but if I love it I HAVE to have a Hardcover copy

I lend a book to someone and never get it back

They come out with a freakin AWESOME edition of one of my fave's so I have to have it....just to have it. Even if it is only something tiny. I just can't help myself. But i usually give my reg edition away to a friend then. (Unless it's a popular one cause I used to be my schools second library lol cause I always had the books everyone wanted to read so if it is pop. I keep the special for just me and let the original be my 'lender')

But never on accident lol.  

Namiko_of_Andreon

Creativerealms

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:20 pm
All the time.  
"The only crime worse than burning books, is not reading them."

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items