fannana
Captain

Friendly Guildswoman

9,925 Points
  • Married 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:06 pm
I finally had a chance to watch this movie for the first time and it came out all the way back in 2001. Has anyone else seen it? I personally think that they did a great job with the graphics... but they could have done MUCH better with the storyline. I thought it was really cheesy and that the ending was too abrupt. I also didn't like the fact that they only paid attention to Aki's hair. Her hair looked more natural when the wind blew and she moved around and everything... but everyone else had unmoving hair. Even Gray's short hair would blow a little in the wind. Square lost a lot of money on that project and it was right before they merged with Enix. It must have really blown their minds to see that happen. I guess the only reason why they dared to make another FF movie is because it was a sequel to VII so they figured that the fans would probably love it.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:50 pm
Its been awhile since I've seen the movie but you're right about the abrupt ending. I should point out, however, that those kinds of ambiguous endings are rather normal when it comes to anime and Spirits Within is still a japanese movie. It has only been in more recent anime were I've seen better attempts at an afterward. Cowboy Bebop ends on a very "What?" moment, and don't even get me started on the ending to Neon Genesis Evangelion. Even when you get a good ending there always seems to be a few little points left undone and changing said ending doesn't always result in a new ending that makes sense. The Big O is a good example of that one. After 13 episodes it ends with a rather abrupt and confusing ending, when demand for a sequel brought it back for another 13 episodes the new ending was just as abrupt and confusing but in a new and different way lol .

I guess my point is that you have to take it as is and make your own interpretations on how the afterward will be.  

Shadows Vengeance

fannana
Captain

Friendly Guildswoman

9,925 Points
  • Married 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:52 pm
Yeah, I suppose so. Abrupt endings really bother me though. Sure, they can leave things open ended, but I'd like a bit more of something, you know? I wonder how many people were left on earth after the aliens attacked in "New York" and started to kill people. I suppose the people that were still alive were left to procreate or something... if there were any left. If not, I suppose Aki and Sid would be left to populate the world all over again.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:57 pm
fannana
Yeah, I suppose so. Abrupt endings really bother me though. Sure, they can leave things open ended, but I'd like a bit more of something, you know? I wonder how many people were left on earth after the aliens attacked in "New York" and started to kill people. I suppose the people that were still alive were left to procreate or something... if there were any left. If not, I suppose Aki and Sid would be left to populate the world all over again.

I know what you mean. Sometimes it's fun to be able to draw your own conclusions about things (i.e. my take on the ending to Code Geass) but other times you really want some closure.  

Shadows Vengeance

Yuber of Dark Rune

Demonic Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:31 am
Ah, FF Spirits Within... I'm honestly not too sure what to say in regards to it. I remember that at the time, the CG graphics were gorgeous. Quite honestly I remember nothing of the storyline, but only of the aesthetics of some scenes. Heh, I suppose I'll have to rewatch it. I remember it not being a terrible movie, though I was originally expecting to see some chocobos at least. xD  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:54 pm
Yuber of Dark Rune
Ah, FF Spirits Within... I'm honestly not too sure what to say in regards to it. I remember that at the time, the CG graphics were gorgeous. Quite honestly I remember nothing of the storyline, but only of the aesthetics of some scenes. Heh, I suppose I'll have to rewatch it. I remember it not being a terrible movie, though I was originally expecting to see some chocobos at least. xD

I personally don't think that the movie really fits into the Final Fantasy theme... It was very odd and had nothing in common with the game series, they even spelled Cid differently. I was like, "Sid?! The one thing that they kept that actually had any sort of FF reference was CHANGED!?"  

fannana
Captain

Friendly Guildswoman

9,925 Points
  • Married 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers