Back to Guilds

Tags: Final Fantasy, Kingsdom Hearts, Video Games, Play Station, Square Enix 

Reply Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts
Favorite Final Fantasy concept artist?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Who is your favorite Final Fantasy concept artist?
  Yoshitaka Amano (Final Fantasies 1-6)
  Tetsuya Nomura (Final Fantasies 7-10)
  Akihiko Yoshida (Final Fantasy XII, III DS, Tactics)
  Toshiyuki Itahana (Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, IX, chocobo's dungeon)
  Other (Do tell)
View Results

ThePersonInFrontOfYou

Wheezing Wench

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:11 am
So, who is your favorite artist of the FF series?

Mine? Yoshitaka Amano. I'm a big fan of his work, including his work outside of Final Fantasy. I have an artbook that contains work from throughout his career that I look at on a regular bases. I originally found him through Final Fantasy, though. I'm so glad I did.
I love his loose, flowing style and his unique, detailed compositions. Take a look at some.

Crud. Not all of the good ones are online.

And yes, I am aware that Amano did some artwork for the later games. But at that point, he was not the primary artist of the series, doing only logo and promo art while Nomura did the designs. I don't like his later FF work as much, but I think that this is much more intimidating than this.

Nomura is a fine artist, and I understand why they switched over to his designs. Amano's art is meant to be seen in 2D, while Nomura's art can be more easily put into 3D. Which is why he adapted Amano's character designs for Dissidia. Even in his Amano adaptions, Nomura's style doesn't flow as much as Amano's. His characters seem less dynamic to me, and they seem more girly, ironically. I don't hate Nomura. I just don't care about him.

I also think the decision to give Firion tons of weapons in Dissidia was really stupid.

I've never really had any thoughts about Yoshida, and I really like Itahana's work in Crystal Chronicles, but not to the same degree as I like Amano's stuff.

What about you? What artists do you like, and why?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:00 pm
I tend to favor Tetsuya Nomura's work becuase he's just awesome, plus he does the work for Kingdom Hearts ^_^.

7-10 are my favorite final fantasy games, so that also counts as a good reason to like his work.

but yeah, his art is phenomenal in my opinion, very beautiful....  

TeamKuran

fannana
Captain

Friendly Guildswoman

9,925 Points
  • Married 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:49 pm
I'd have to say that I like Nomura's art because I like the character's designs of 7,8 and 10. Not so much 9... I would say that Amano's art is pretty nice too though.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:03 pm
fannana
I'd have to say that I like Nomura's art because I like the character's designs of 7,8 and 10. Not so much 9... I would say that Amano's art is pretty nice too though.

Actually I think Amano did FF9 character artwork. It's good, but for Garnet I've always wondered how they got anything other than her basic clothing from it.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/2/21/Yoshitaka_Amano_Zidane_FFIX.png

I'm a moron who can't figure out how to put a picture in here so here's a link for one... I'm assuming that you can post up a picture, I've never tried before.  

Shadows Vengeance

log log5

Dapper Grabber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:06 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
there you go.. that might work  
Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff