Reply Deathrock
O.Children Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Death of Cool

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:32 am
I posted this in the goth thread, but I know not everyone checks there anymore.

Named after the Nick Cave song obv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1o_03ilQY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmcHPk8_1N8  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:35 pm
now I have to add another track to my favorite single CD lol  

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

Queen Lapinova

6,650 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:10 pm
s**t. Totally forgot about them.
So glad to see a new video.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:28 pm
-thumbs up-  

Miss Fiendette

3,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Good Heroine
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:57 am
Holy s**t that voice came out of nowhere, I wasn't expecting it to be so deep. Pretty good though, England is still delivering good revival bands even though the movement here is dying out.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:01 pm
The movement in the US doesn't seem to be dying as much as it is straying.

You have have every indie band in existence claiming to be a revival band and no one actually sounding anything like a revival band.  

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

Miss Fiendette

3,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:05 pm
Good Heroine
Holy s**t that voice came out of nowhere, I wasn't expecting it to be so deep. Pretty good though, England is still delivering good revival bands even though the movement here is dying out.

Neither did I, but it's a nice suprise. I'll be adding this to my mix for graduation.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:46 pm
Yeah, that voice is amazing.
I was playing it a couple months ago, and my friend was there and was like "Holy s**t, who is this? He sounds like Frankenstein" lol  

Shadowolf

Vice Captain

Miss Fiendette

3,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:40 am
Shadowolf
Yeah, that voice is amazing.
I was playing it a couple months ago, and my friend was there and was like "Holy s**t, who is this? He sounds like Frankenstein" lol

lol lol lol  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:23 pm
xChrisThePanda
The movement in the US doesn't seem to be dying as much as it is straying.

You have have every indie band in existence claiming to be a revival band and no one actually sounding anything like a revival band.

I guess thats a better view of whats going on, regardless, the US is losing it but the Brits are only getting better, though really disregarding post-punk as generally goth rock sounding the old movement as a whole was a little broad and didn't really section itself off into massive subgenres like punk did, from Joy Division to Orange Juice to Mission of Burma, Magazine, Pere Ubu, Virgin Prunes, Birthday Party, Chameleons, Gang of Four, Suicide, Wire, Television, etc, so really a lot of newer bands could be almost completely synthpop or shoegaze or whatever and not be totally off because post-punk had such a wide scope and influence though generally doesn't get recognized too much for it.

Britain has a lot of straying bands as well that are still pretty good regardless. Wild Beasts, These New Puritans, Neils Children, and Ipso Facto being good examples, but the UK still delivers on bands like The Horrors, XX, Violets, and now this whereas to my knowledge the US hasn't really done so for awhile.  

Good Heroine
Crew

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:08 pm
I love that post-punk was so varied. I mean "post-punk" much like "post-hardcore" or anything else with the post prefix just implies an appreciation of the original style but with a change in the way it's done instead of defining a specific sound.

I mean even anarcho bands like Crass, Zounds, and Flux of Pink Indians were considered post-punk at the same time Joy Division and The Smiths were. And Post-hardcore ranges anywhere from Fugazi to AFI

That's why I like the "post" genres because there isn't a need to make sub-sub-sub-genres like people tend to do with punk, metal, indie, and electronic music.

I do however think that if you are in a revival movement it should sound like you are trying to revive something. Not to say every revival band should sound like a rip-off of an old band but just that they should have something from the original style that they apply to their sound.

For example twangy bass lines, cold synths, sparse hooks, and a minimalist philosophy were all reminiscent of most post-punk groups.

Idk but I think that if you have a hole group of bands saying that they were influenced by post-punk bands yet go in a different direction than post-punk then you are left with post-post-punk.

Also sorry this post is so long lol  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:33 am
I think post-punk is the only post-genre I like, most post-hardcore to my knowledge is obnoxious scene music like AlexIsOnFire or Alesana, not so much Fugazi or AFI in my mind, though imho whatever AFI is producing now is unimportant. Don't get me started on post-grunge, but I think my inner elitist MF reg is coming out.

The revival movement is essentially an orgy of shoegaze, post-punk, and garage, basically a standard hipster's wet dream. Some bands are or have already broken through the basic post-punk phase and are making music similar to first wave goth, which after the neo-deathrock movement I'm skeptical as to how much good could come from it, though bands like Sleepmask, DEMONTRÉ, and ROMANCE (I'm not sure what the fascination with the capitals is all about, and this is just my opinion of what potentially can be considered goth revival) are helping me stay a little optimistic that things won't get too blown out of proportion, new deathrock was fun for awhile but got stale pretty fast, and that's saying something since I listen to generic Hardcore Punk a lot. I just hope the same thing doesn't happen again, as it so often does...  

Good Heroine
Crew

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:40 pm
AFI was good when they were actually doing hardcore punk ten years ago as were The Used.

Anyway, that metalcore bullshit that the scene kids are calling post-hardcore is nowhere to beig close. Fugazi is a good example though lol.

Also by new deathrock do you mean stuff like Eat Your Makeup and all that?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:22 am
xChrisThePanda
AFI was good when they were actually doing hardcore punk ten years ago as were The Used.

Anyway, that metalcore bullshit that the scene kids are calling post-hardcore is nowhere to beig close. Fugazi is a good example though lol.

Also by new deathrock do you mean stuff like Eat Your Makeup and all that?

Eat Your Make-Up, Tragic Black, I'm too tired to bother thinking of more, but any band that had a deathhawk were considered deathrock when they were more Horror Punk in the styling of .45 Grave, though some good bands still got recognition out of it like Los Carniceros del Norte, Zadera, Bloody Dead & Sexy, Frank the Baptist, Antiworld, etc. but few of them were deathrock as much as they just fit the image. Things just really got blown out of proportion with that scene and everyone was a deathrock band when they sounded nothing like Christian Death, Kommunity FK, Red Temple Spirits, or Mephisto Walz, not even enough for some suffix to be added on for association. There were some good things but there were a lot of bad things that came with it and eventually fragmented what the sound originally was, though the scene it created is generally nice.  

Good Heroine
Crew

ZombieGinsberg
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:15 pm
Most of the bands you named I usually consider like gothabilly  
Deathrock

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers