Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KissMeHappy

Familiar Exhibitionist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:28 pm
So, in Love it or Shove it, I made this game:
Link.

It's a Random Number game. User's generate a random number from 1-1000000000. To win you must get all the numbers 1-9 in any order.

There's more to it, and there was a rule where someone won, no matter what, but that's not the point.

The Point: This Thread got around 700 replies in 4 days.

So, I figure, why not do it for The Ball? It could draw some crazy attention.

Input? I have ideas on how to make it work, but I want to know it's not just some crazy idea in general first. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:25 pm
Random number games always get a lot of replies. I think it's a great idea - but perhaps we should make victory more likely, more victors, but a smaller prize, so the average Gaian is attracted.  

A Paradox of Wills

KissMeHappy

Familiar Exhibitionist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:17 pm
A Paradox of Wills
Random number games always get a lot of replies. I think it's a great idea - but perhaps we should make victory more likely, more victors, but a smaller prize, so the average Gaian is attracted.

That's what I was thinking. It would be easy to set up, I think. We'd just need to think of a prize.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:28 pm
I like how my friend does it. She sets it up in stages like so:

stage 1: numbers 1-10: get a 5 and win 5k (This is just a gold base prize thing though the prizes can be anything)

Stage 2: numbers 1-20: get a 10 and win 10k

Stage 3: numbers 1-30: Get a 15 and win 15k

Stage 4: numbers 1-40: get 20 and win 20k

Stage 5 (Final stage): numbers 1-50: get 25 and win 25k+a bonus

You only receive the prize for the highest stage you got to before time ran out, so say you got to stage 5 you only receive 25k and the bonus prize.

My friend that uses this style is lilchibiusa  

Slytherin Lord
Crew

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250

x_Silver_Starlight_x
Crew

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:12 pm
Epcot Illuminations

stage 1: numbers 1-10: get a 5 and win 5k (This is just a gold base prize thing though the prizes can be anything)

You only receive the prize for the highest stage you got to before time ran out, so say you got to stage 5 you only receive 25k and the bonus prize.

The problem with that one is that the number possibilities are too small and someone would win really fast. Easy enough to fix though.
1-10,000,000 get 5,000,000 win 5k
1-20,000,000 get 10,000,000 win 10k
1-30,000,000 get 15,000,000 win 15k
etc.
or 10,000 instead of 10,000,000  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:37 pm
^ I like that idea.
I recently started making graphics to help fundraise.
I wouldn't mind giving out money to the victors.

harmonieux
Crew

Fatcat

KissMeHappy

Familiar Exhibitionist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:45 pm
I also like that new idea. heart  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:18 pm
Epcot Illuminations

That works just fine for a small guild setting, but it would be hard to manage on a larger scale. I did something similar in the game thread I ran in the Celebration room last year. The odds were way lower, and there were hundreds of pages of play during the weekend. But, though it is a great side game, I'm not sure how well such a game could advertise the ball. I'm wondering if we might get more of a response having chat threads about the annual ball in various forums. People could hang out and chat, learn about the ball, and get psyched about attending.  

LilChibiusa
Crew

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Elocutionist 200

LilChibiusa
Crew

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:39 pm
x_Silver_Starlight_x
Epcot Illuminations

The problem with that one is that the number possibilities are too small and someone would win really fast. Easy enough to fix though.
etc.

Those odds are way way too low. @_@ It is rather inadvisable to put the odds any lower than 1-250. If you have them 1-500, you might get one or two winners in a month if the thread is really popular. Plus, people usually aren't going to stick around and play if the prizes aren't good. You have to make it worth their time and effort to play. This is all from personal experience.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:28 pm
I love it! But what we really need is a convincing prize. I must say, 25k might not pull in any rich gaians... if we have enough funds, I'm thinking 1 mil...? In total. That is, of course that they have enough funds to support that...

If we do stages, we might have to say you can only win once, cause its no fair if the same person who spends 12 of their 24 hours on gaia and wins them all, right?

I'm just throwing things out there...

Spottedteddybears

Vicious Pants

Slytherin Lord
Crew

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:17 pm
Spottedteddybears
I love it! But what we really need is a convincing prize. I must say, 25k might not pull in any rich gaians... if we have enough funds, I'm thinking 1 mil...? In total. That is, of course that they have enough funds to support that...

If we do stages, we might have to say you can only win once, cause its no fair if the same person who spends 12 of their 24 hours on gaia and wins them all, right?

you win only the highest stage you complete. So if you get through the first 4 stages you will only receive the prize to stage 4. no other prizes.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:23 pm
Epcot Illuminations
Spottedteddybears

you win only the highest stage you complete. So if you get through the first 4 stages you will only receive the prize to stage 4. no other prizes.

alright! thanks!  

Spottedteddybears

Vicious Pants

LilChibiusa
Crew

Playful Nerd

16,300 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:24 pm
But, won't having games with high prizes completely counteract the fund-raising we're doing? Even if they play the games and win prizes, they aren't likely to attend the ball. I've noticed that most people on Gaia aren't even aware of what the ball is. We need to get out there and talk to people and let them know what the ball is and how much fun they can have there. So, I propose that we have a chat thread in all event forums and the RP forums. Each of those chat threads will perform the functions necessary to remain within the guidelines of its respective forum. For example, the threads in the RP area will have light roleplays going on, and the ball staff will explain everything about the ball to raise interest. I'm also suggesting the event forums because they are high interest, and we are likely to attract a wide variety of people. If we could get three or more people to post in such threads a few times a day, we could keep such threads active and interest in the ball high, at least in theory.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:26 pm
Spottedteddybears
Epcot Illuminations
Spottedteddybears

alright! thanks!

we could also make an entry fee. In the long run we will make money as long as we made the odds be right proportion, and only the first couple of people to reach the upper levels win.  

Slytherin Lord
Crew

Desirable Guildsman

14,825 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250

x_Silver_Starlight_x
Crew

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:18 am
LilChibiusa
x_Silver_Starlight_x
Epcot Illuminations

etc.

Those odds are way way too low. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. It is rather inadvisable to put the odds any lower than 1-250. If you have them 1-500, you might get one or two winners in a month if the thread is really popular. Plus, people usually aren't going to stick around and play if the prizes aren't good. You have to make it worth their time and effort to play. This is all from personal experience.

True. We need to find something that keeps too many people from winning or too fast as well. I don't imagine we have that much we can give away after all. So we need to find a good balance.  
9th Annual User Run Ball

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff