Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Break Room

Back to Guilds

A guild focused on the needs of real life mommies, crafters, artists, and daddies. 

Tags: parenting, recipes, diys, crafts, artist 

Reply Crafts & DIYs
Help! I'm learning how to sew

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

l noodles l

Tiny Trickster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:27 pm
I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm trying to make this dress by April burning_eyes I have never done anything like this before and neither has any of my immediate family, I'm freaking out a little lol Does anyone have any tips or tutorials? I don't even know how to start sweatdrop

Edit! now with pattern  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:15 am
User Image

Omg I'd love to make a disney princess dress
I never thought of that o 3o

Anyway, it's going to be a very hard beginner's project most likely. I'm sure if you look online and search up a snow white dress pattern there will be one.
I also suggest looking at (real life) pictures of the dress to help you see how it should come out, where you think you should sew, etc.
The sleeves will probably be the hardest part, at least it would be for me. I'm also a beginner sewer.

The best way to go is to have a pattern!

lady-drogo

Generous Gekko

9,050 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Guildmember 100

l noodles l

Tiny Trickster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:00 pm
lady-drogo
User Image

Anyway, it's going to be a very hard beginner's project most likely. I'm sure if you look online and search up a snow white dress pattern there will be one.
I also suggest looking at (real life) pictures of the dress to help you see how it should come out, where you think you should sew, etc.
The sleeves will probably be the hardest part, at least it would be for me. I'm also a beginner sewer.

Its so pretty I couldn't resist! crying Yay, since its a popular dress to make there's a few references and dress diaries floating around, and its supposed to be 'historical' so there are patterns for that kind of dress but I'm still looking for the double puff sleeves blah. Thanks for the advice! smile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:14 pm
User Image

It really is pretty, and I bet it's going to be a fun project!

I have no clue how to make one puff sleeve let alone two on each sleeve o wo

Miss Exorcist
lady-drogo
http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o704/sol-chan/cute277_zps1dd15ad1.gif

Its so pretty I couldn't resist! crying Yay, since its a popular dress to make there's a few references and dress diaries floating around, and its supposed to be 'historical' so there are patterns for that kind of dress but I'm still looking for the double puff sleeves blah. Thanks for the advice! smile

lady-drogo

Generous Gekko

9,050 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Guildmember 100

ArchangelAki-chan

Brainy Senshi

12,900 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:45 pm
Okay, so I may be able to help with those sleeves. I make renaissance dresses every year to wear to a local festival and I'll try to explain how to go about making those types of sleeves. It's best to do the sleeves last, after the main part of the dress is done. This way the arm holes are already sized correctly.

Keep in mind this is only to help with the sleeves, don't use this pattern for the rest of the dress.

So basically, you're going to use a pattern such as this and cut out the sleeves from a lightweight blue and red striped fabric. Make sure the stripes are running vertically when you place the pattern as they do in your reference image. Once you've cut it out, sew the long seam that runs the length of the sleeve (from armpit to wrist). Now you have what appears to be a 'tube' of fabric. You'll notice the sleeve is a lot wider than the arm hole. Line up the seam you made with the bottom of the arm hole so that the seam is in the armpit. You'll have to create ruffles by gathering (just bunch it up/make small folds) the top end of the sleeve and pinning it to the arm hole of the dress. Now sew the striped sleeve to the arm hole of the dress. Hem the wrist end of the sleeve and now you're ready for part 2.

Here's the fun part...You're going to make arm cuffs! I recommend using a pattern like the one above. Use a heavy yellow/gold fabric and cut out the arm cuffs. You should have two for each upper arm and two for each lower arm. Make the seam for all four pieces and then hem the tops and bottoms of all four, adding the red trim around the hem. If you're afraid you won't be able to slip you're hand through (maybe you have really skinny arms) you could always make them lace up kinda like this. If this is the case, hem all four sides of all four cuffs, then add eyelets.

I hope this is more helpful than confusing. If you have any questions or need further help feel free to pm me. Here's a reference image of how the sleeves will look when finished. If I can help in any way or maybe make something a little more clear (I suck at explaining things) please don't hesitate to ask.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:11 pm
ArchangelAki-chan
Thank you thank you thank you! I bought my pattern yesterday and it came with instructions for the sleeves but just for the puff to be in the middle, so this is really helpful 'cause I would have no idea to do that and would have panicked  

l noodles l

Tiny Trickster

ArchangelAki-chan

Brainy Senshi

12,900 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:05 am
Miss Exorcist
ArchangelAki-chan
Thank you thank you thank you! I bought my pattern yesterday and it came with instructions for the sleeves but just for the puff to be in the middle, so this is really helpful 'cause I would have no idea to do that and would have panicked

Oh good! I thought I was being rather confusing, but I'm glad I could help. 3nodding Just let me know if you have any other concerns regarding this dress. And I'd love to see a picture once it's done ^.^

emotion_bigheart ~Aki  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:44 am
ArchangelAki-chan
Oh good! I thought I was being rather confusing, but I'm glad I could help. 3nodding Just let me know if you have any other concerns regarding this dress. And I'd love to see a picture once it's done ^.^

emotion_bigheart ~Aki
Thanks! emotion_kirakira I'll be sure to post something as soon as I get anything done cat_rofl  

l noodles l

Tiny Trickster

Crafts & DIYs

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces