Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Break Room

Back to Guilds

A guild focused on the needs of real life mommies, crafters, artists, and daddies. 

Tags: parenting, recipes, diys, crafts, artist 

Reply Crafts & DIYs
Ideas please!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:08 pm
I am Sarah. I'm nearly 27, and have a 2 hour job. The reason why is because I'm special needs. But anyway...besides that...
This means I have bunches of spare time on my hands.
I bore very quickly and reading/writing isn't my go-to hobby. Honestly, it's this, Pinterest and Facebook. rolleyes
I'd like to start making things with my hands.

Now, according to my special needs, I am unable to drive, unable to handle money and my hand-eye co ordination is a bit off. That's why I can't drive.
Another thing about the special needs is that..I can come up with all these wonderful ideas....but can't execute(meaning do it).
If a task is set in front of me, I'll get on it.
But without a task...I'm just like..."DUUUUUUHHHHH".
It's a bit maddening, really. I'm smart...but I can't reveal it. I'm creative, but can't do anything about it. cry
I'll think of writing a great, world changing story. but can't figure out how to start it.
I run into a wall before I even begin. and that's the end of my fabulous creative ideas.
I also put the carriage before the horse. For example: I met my boyfriend in June. We started dating. Things are going great. There's nothing wrong with us so far.
stare I'm already thinking and getting depressed about the breakup.
I plan to write about my life experiences. I can do it, I just need to start. and I can't. evil crying
I'm pinning every one of my future hopes on this book...that I can't write.
My life story is not simple. My special needs and the abuse are so intertwined, I can't separate them.
Why do I want to write at all? Because I have something to say to the world!! They think special needs people are so stupid, and I have met some A LOT more special then me. All you normal people need to hear what we've got to say.
and ABUSE NEEDS TO STOP!! I'm a victim and I'm going to put my story in black and white.
and rape should not be done! period.

That's the way it goes and I hate it.

I do sew a little. I'd like to get super good at it. But can't without a teacher! crying
I color.
I have a skill with words. I can write, I just don't. But I do plan to!
I LOVE Pearler Beads and plan to get some to play with.

Making jewelry is something I've tried, and I loved making the earrings pretty, but the other parts weren't worth it. Too much for me. Those are the hand eye things I can't do.

Knitting I like. Crochet is hard, but I'm learning. I'm confident I can do it! If I can live through a drowning, I can live through anything.
I did have a skill in drawing when I was tiny. I'll brush it up.

Just....any new ideas would be helpful.

got a bit carried away there, sorry. but you get it.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:24 pm
Have you ever tried photography? It seems like a
random hobby to try, but you're obviously quite creative and
even amateur photography can be very satisfying.
Sculpting is also very fun, especially if you like hands-on things.
Right now I'm trying to re-make a pair of these to put on a headband.
You don't even have to do anything fancy at first. Even making small
accessories out of clay can take a while to get right and always keeps you busy.

As for writing, I love talking about writing and I love helping
people starting their stories even more. I would love to help you with that, if you want. 3nodding

getmeoffthishellsite

Hot Lop

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:29 pm
Czarcastique
accessories out of clay can take a while to get right and always keeps you busy.

people starting their stories even more. I would love to help you with that, if you want. 3nodding

That would be fantastic!
I've never thought of clay before...
and I'm a photo nut.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:38 pm
Green_crayon42
Czarcastique

That would be fantastic!
and I'm a photo nut.
Well, I haven't really thought of jewelry as another outlet lately, so I'll probably try jewelry making. As for sewing...well..I always find myself staring at my pile of buttons and fabric with an evil glare. I don't know if I have the patience for it yet. XD

getmeoffthishellsite

Hot Lop

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:43 pm
Czarcastique
Green_crayon42
Czarcastique

That would be fantastic!
and I'm a photo nut.
Well, I haven't really thought of jewelry as another outlet lately, so I'll probably try jewelry making. As for sewing...well..I always find myself staring at my pile of buttons and fabric with an evil glare. I don't know if I have the patience for it yet. XD
hehe. I know how it goes.
I really don't know how to help you.

Anyway....HELP ME WITH WRITING!!!! I need to start on this book if I plan to go anywhere with it!! emotion_kirakira emotion_kirakira emotion_kirakira emotion_kirakira emotion_kirakira emotion_kirakira  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:56 pm
Green_crayon42
Well, for starters, every November there's an online writing challenge called NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month. The challenge is to write 50,000 words, but of course it's more of an overall goal to keep writers motivated. I'm taking part this year and writing the first book of the series I've been planning for the past three years. ^___^

The most succinct advice I can give to any writer is to first try to identify what kind of style that they have and how it would fit with the novel that they're writing. What kind of mood do you want to get across with your writing? Would you rather pack a lot of emotion into it with imagery and figurative speech, or would you rather be more simple and use less words, but still get across your point and be just as powerful? I tend to prefer a more wordy style myself, but some people can't do that, and that's okay!

Next, if there's a moral or an overall message you want to get across with your writing, it's more important to have a good story than to have a good message. You can have a very good message that could appeal to a lot of people, but it's better to set up the story well first, then find a way to work the message in.

Finally, most stories are built around a conflict. Sometimes you can have a really neat idea for a story but not really know how the story will happen, just that you want it to begin one way and end another way. The middle point was really my toughest point in finally preparing to write my book. If you get to that point, sit down and write out the traits of your characters and find a way to get them into a problem, a mystery or a quest that they just can't put down. When you finally come up with one, it may seem so obvious that you just don't know why you didn't think of it before.

getmeoffthishellsite

Hot Lop

christelle17

Distinct Genius

1,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:32 am
Wow I'm also sort like you. I have to day you have a talent for writing, write what you know. Because if you didn't notice your first message just shows how good you really are, don't let the disability bother you. I do porcelain dolls and resin castings its easy and you can use your hands. Easy.... Look at recycle arts I do that and I read books to 18 kids twice a week.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:23 am
Czarcastique
Green_crayon42
Well, for starters, every November there's an online writing challenge called NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month. The challenge is to write 50,000 words, but of course it's more of an overall goal to keep writers motivated. I'm taking part this year and writing the first book of the series I've been planning for the past three years. ^___^

The most succinct advice I can give to any writer is to first try to identify what kind of style that they have and how it would fit with the novel that they're writing. What kind of mood do you want to get across with your writing? Would you rather pack a lot of emotion into it with imagery and figurative speech, or would you rather be more simple and use less words, but still get across your point and be just as powerful? I tend to prefer a more wordy style myself, but some people can't do that, and that's okay!

Next, if there's a moral or an overall message you want to get across with your writing, it's more important to have a good story than to have a good message. You can have a very good message that could appeal to a lot of people, but it's better to set up the story well first, then find a way to work the message in.

Finally, most stories are built around a conflict. Sometimes you can have a really neat idea for a story but not really know how the story will happen, just that you want it to begin one way and end another way. The middle point was really my toughest point in finally preparing to write my book. If you get to that point, sit down and write out the traits of your characters and find a way to get them into a problem, a mystery or a quest that they just can't put down. When you finally come up with one, it may seem so obvious that you just don't know why you didn't think of it before.

wow. I totally forgot about this thread.
I plan to write my own experiences. I'm an adult with special needs, I was abused for 24 years and I've been raped at least three times.
I just have a story to tell and I know it.
Like I said, people need to wake up and ******** look around. It sickens me how society thinks of the term "special needs".
Abuse is not something people like to talk about. Also rape. But the fact is that it does happen.
I wanna tell my life story to give people hope. I want those victims to feel like they are strong people. Abuse and rape do not happen in public, those are private affairs. And the longer they stay private, the worse they get.
message: to society and just people in general: GROW. THE ********. UP.  

Green_crayon42

Interesting Gekko

Popstar Diva Momoko

Fashionable Cub

5,200 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:11 am
You should try working with polymer clay. You can make some really great stuff with that.

As for telling your story, there's lots of people who are willing to help you do that...but if you have trouble with words, why not try telling your story in some other way? Like with drawing or photos or music or dance?

Music and dance are my thing, so that's how I think about everything. Take Daft Punk's Interstella 5555. That's a movie without dialogue that uses animation and music to tell the story.

There's a lot of computer programs out there that can allow you to remix music and edit video clips. That could be a really creative way to tell a story...if you're into that sort of thing.

Abstract drawings and paintings might be nice for you too. You can experiment with how to invoke certain emotions using colour and technique...

Uhm...Idk...I hope that helps. If you don't mind me asking, what is your disability? I have a cousin who is autistic and it's really sad how people treat him. In truth, my cousin is smarter than most "normal" people I know, but because he processes things differently, people treat him like he's stupid.  
Crafts & DIYs

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games