Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The American Military Guild
Spook on the USS Lexington - myth or fact?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bossman Joe
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:11 am
I have heard stories about the USS Lexington, the WWII aircraft carrier that is now docked in Corpus Cristi, TX. There are reports of a ghost the dwells and manifests within the boiler room of the ship. Now I live in Texas and Corpus is only a 2 to 3 hour drive south. Ive gone on the ship and into the very boiler room of the giagantic ship. What the ghost is supposed to do, is be dressed in the navy whites you see in all those old navy pictures, a current uniform bears a resemblence. Anyway the ghost isnt considered scary and is known to talk to visitors of the ship, and even answer their questions. People dont even know hes a ghost and there have been people who compliment his behavior to the director of the tours. When the tour group all leaves the room, he vanishes. Like I said before, Ive gone into that room and hesitantly waited for "Charlie" the ghosts name to show up. I never saw him. But I did see a camera from Unsolved Mysteries in the corner of the room. I knew I was in the right place but at the wrong time. I went two more times the nexy day but I still didnt see anything. Does anyone know anything about this story?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:09 pm
Ive been to the lex plenty of times (the vast majority by school field trips stare ) and ive seen nothing.
my theory is that the ship's nickname* got some person to thinkin' that there actually was some blue ghost on board the ship, either by misenterpretation or just a hoax.

*the lex got the nickname The Blue Ghost from the japanese in WWII. heres the story:
The first Lexington was lost (i believe in the battle for Coral Sea). the navy then proceeded to build a new Lexington--why they didn't name it the Lexington II, i'll never know. However, this Lexington (which happens to be the one serving as a meuseum in The Sparkling City by the Sea today) was hit by a kamakaze in the superstructure, right below the bridge. severely crippled, the Lex somehow managed to find a way to make it to a home port, where they performed repairs and got it running 100% again. The Japanese were mystified by the ship, thinking it somehow came "back from the grave" a second time. thus, the legend earned the nickname, "The Blue Ghost"

and thats the end of today's WWII naval history lesson.  

Silvrtide
Vice Captain

Bossman Joe
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:33 pm
Apple for teacher?

The thing is though many people have seen the ghost, so it is proven to be haunted.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:05 pm
Wyvern Knight
Apple for teacher?

The thing is though many people have seen the ghost, so it is proven to be haunted.

And many more have seen elvis, haha no offense bud, but sometimes it get's the most of people imaginiations.  

Drewser

Bossman Joe
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:25 pm
Drewser
Wyvern Knight
Apple for teacher?

And many more have seen elvis, haha no offense bud, but sometimes it get's the most of people imaginiations.
Whatever your opinion, I am still intrigued.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:12 pm
Silvrtide
Ive been to the lex plenty of times (the vast majority by school field trips stare ) and ive seen nothing.
my theory is that the ship's nickname* got some person to thinkin' that there actually was some blue ghost on board the ship, either by misenterpretation or just a hoax.

*the lex got the nickname The Blue Ghost from the japanese in WWII. heres the story:
The first Lexington was lost (i believe in the battle for Coral Sea). the navy then proceeded to build a new Lexington--why they didn't name it the Lexington II, i'll never know. However, this Lexington (which happens to be the one serving as a meuseum in The Sparkling City by the Sea today) was hit by a kamakaze in the superstructure, right below the bridge. severely crippled, the Lex somehow managed to find a way to make it to a home port, where they performed repairs and got it running 100% again. The Japanese were mystified by the ship, thinking it somehow came "back from the grave" a second time. thus, the legend earned the nickname, "The Blue Ghost"

Very good, I'm impressed. Yes it was the "Battle of Coral Sea" that she sank at. You can probably look up, and find pictures of the Lexington going down from a near by destroyer. Have you guys heard of that Carrier being made, "Goerge W. E. Bush"?  

Cookie_bear_grr_SS4L

Silvrtide
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:12 pm
Charles Mikolajczyk
Silvrtide

Very good, I'm impressed. Yes it was the "Battle of Coral Sea" that she sank at. You can probably look up, and find pictures of the Lexington going down from a near by destroyer. Have you guys heard of that Carrier being made, "Goerge W. E. Bush"?

i believe that it has allready been sent to sea.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:53 pm
Could be. Last time I heard, it was in the later stages. That was a long time ago though.  

Cookie_bear_grr_SS4L

King_Wolff_Mustang

2,700 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:27 am
i myself beleive in spooks/apparitian/ghost/etc. but i have never heard about the lex being haunted and i've heard every american haunting to dae excet the american haunting movie(supposedly it is based on a true storie)but now thanks to you i have to research the lex or i'll go crazy  
The American Military Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games