Further Research {New websites added}

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is this information useful to you?
  Yes
  No (I have no need for them)
  No (They do not give me anough information on the subject)
View Results

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:51 am
Further Research

This thread is for those who wish to research Egyptology further or to simply read books set in Ancient Egypt. If any of the links do not work or you want information to be added then PM me or post below.

If you:
Send me a link to a website then give me the link, name of site and a briefy description of the site.
Send me information about a book then give me the title, author, publisher, place it was pulbished, year it was published and the ISBN code. If you cannot find this information hen give me the title of the book and I'll find it. Also add a brief description of the book and/or you're opinion on it, it would be interesting to know.

Contents:

arrow Gaia Links
arrow Website Links
arrow Books (Fictinal)
arrow Books (Factual)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:13 am
Gaia Links:

Religion:

arrow Kemetic Orthodoxy Thread - A thread on all sorts of links on Kemetic Orthodoxy. Many thanks to Mortiferia. More links and information on religion can be found here.

arrow Greek to Egyptian - People who follow Kemetic Orthodoxy usually use the Egyptian name of the Gods, instead of the well known Greek version. Here is a list of the most common Gods and Goddesses with their Greek and Egyptian names.

Hieroglyphics:

arrow Guide on how to read Hieroglyphics - It was suggested a long time ago and after finishing college for a few months I decided to create the thread. It is a starter's guide on how to read hieroglyphs which is easy to learn.

Pharaohs and Rulers:

arrow List of Pharaohs and Rulers of Ancient Egypt - This thread has all the rulers of Ancient Egypt. It starts half way in the Archaic Period with the first dynasty up to the last ruler of the Ptolemic Period when Egypt came under control by the Romans.  

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:14 am
Website Links:

Lifestyle:

arrow Eternal Egypt - Includes timelines, maps and other useful ways of finding out about Egypt.

arrow Pharaonic Egypt - Tonnes of information on everything! From housing, illnesses, war, mythology and loads more!

arrow Egypt: Daily Life - A page summary of the daily lives of Egyptians. Talks about clothing, make-up, the family, food and so on.

arrow Egypt's Golden Empiror - Talks about the New Kingdom of Ancient Egypt. Also gives information on what a Pharaoh, nobalman, farmer and what other Egyptians do every day.

arrow The House of Netjer - A few members of this Guild worship Kemetic Orthodox (like myself) and other Ancient Egyptian religions. This page gives information on Kemetic Orthodox and even has a forum (many thanks to WebenBanu for this link).

Hieroglyphs:

arrow Wesheb & Hieroglyphs.net - Both sites are on hieroglyphics. They give you new words daily so do check them out frequently. Given to be my WebenBanu and Mortiferia, thanks guys!

arrow Hierglyphs - Tells you about hieroglyphics (even determinative), the Eye of Horus being used in fractions and numbers.

arrow Online Hierglyphis Translator - Translate words into Hieroglphics.

arrow Internet Sacred Text Arcive - A site with translated Egyptian texts (and other languages). Given to me by Ishilied.

arrow Learning Egyptian Hieroglyphs - Teaches you the basics of how to read Egyptian Hieroglyphs. Given to me by Shokai

Art:

arrow King Tut One & Neferchichi & Web Weaver - Sites which contain Ancient Egyptian clip art. Given to me by Star_Raven.

Deities:

arrow Caroline Seawright's Egyptology Column - Has alot of information on the Egyptian deities with lessons on how to read Egyptian Hieroglyphs at the bottom of the page. Given to me by Shokai

Mythology:
arrow Enclopedia Mythica - Contains mythology on Ancient Egypt. Suggested by Silverdracowolf.

Kemetic Orthodoxy:
arrow Kemetic Orthodoxy Faith - (Reconstructed religion of ancient Egypt) An information site explaining the Kemetic Orthodox faith, which some members of the guild worship.
arrow House of Netjer Forum - Another KO site. This is the link to the forum used by members of KO and people wishing to learn more. Feel free to sign up!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:15 am
Books (Fictional):

River God
Author:
Wilbur Smith
Publisher: Pan Books, London, 2007
ISBN: 978-0-330-44993-9

Without giving too much information away this story is about a well educated slave, Taita, the eunuch. He and his mistress, Lostris, and her lover, Tanus, try to save Egypt from the invading Hykos.

Warlock
Author:
Wilbur Smith
Publisher: Pan Books, London, 2006
ISBN: 0-330-37630-6

Poor Taita has been living in the desert whilst trying to come to terms with the death of Queen Lostris. As he returns he helps Pharaoh Nefer Seti to win back Egypt.

The Quest
Author:
Wilbur Smith
Publisher: Pan Macmillan Ltd, Basingstoke and Oxford, 2007
ISBN: 978-1-4050-0580-7

A sequal from the Egyptian series. The River Nile has failed to flood and Egypt is now, again, in danger. Taita goes to where the river is born to find out what is happening.

Manhunt
Author:
Christian Jacq
Publisher: Simon & Schuster, London, 2007
ISBN: 978-1-8473-7057-0

A young Scribe, Kel, has been accused of murdering the whole Interpreter Secerteriate. Will Kel live long enough to prove his innocence?

The Divine Worshipper
Author:
Christian Jacq
Publisher: Simon & Schuster, London, 2007
ISBN: 978-1-8473-7059-4

Kel's wife, Nitis, has gone missing and his innocence still has not been proved. Without her Kel is hopeless and will soon give himself up to the authorities. Will Kel find Nitis and finally prove his innocence?

Her-Bak: The Living Face of Ancient Egypt
Author:
Isha Schwaller de Lubicz
Publisher: Inner Traditions
ISBN: 978-0892810031

In these fictional accounts, the wisdom of Ancient Egypt is revealed through the eyes of a young Her-Bak, a candidate for initiation into the Inner Temple. The events related take place between the XX and XXI dynasties. In this volume Her-Bak's training in the living school of Nature and in the Outer Temple unfolds.  

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:16 am
Books (Factual):

How to read Egyptian - Hieroglyphs
Author:
Mark Collier and Bill Manley
Publisher: The British Museum Press, London, 2005
ISBN: 0-7141-1910-5

This book is great for beginners who want to learn Hieroglyphics or for those who want to touch up on their skills.

Ancient Egypt
Author:
Lorna Oakes and Lucia Gahlin
Publisher: Joanna Lorenz, Anness Publishing Ltd. London, 2006
ISBN: 1-84309-686-2

This book gives tonnes of information on the Ancient Egyptian religion. It is recommended to those who worship the Ancient Egyptian faith and want to learn more about the religion.

The Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt
General Editor:
Helen Strudwick
Publisher: Amber Books Ltd. London, 2006
ISBN: 1-904687-85-7

An Enclyplopedia full of information on all aspects of Egyptology. Provides information on rulers, medicine, religion, art, Gods and the list goes on. Great use as a door stopper when not being read ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:35 am
Great jumping off point!

You may want to add the Her-Bak books to the list, I have been reading the second, and it's very indepth. Something worth reading, for sure.  

Nissedragon

Silverdracowolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:19 pm
Encyclopedia Mythica is where i go for most of my mythology reading:
http://www.pantheon.org/areas/mythology/africa/egyptian/articles.html
It's a great site and has many other areas of myth to.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:59 am
^ Encyclopedia Mythica is amazing. That's where I go to read about all sorts of older myths and histories.  

caotica

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:01 pm
Ow I didn't notice that! Oops. It's now been added.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:01 am
I would also like to add some things:

www.hethert.org
And Her Holinesses(AUS) book "The Ancient Egyptian Prayer Book"  

Obsidian Banshee

Undead Specter

33,315 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Citizen 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
The Lounge

Manage Your Items