Reply Religion
Egyptian Gods and Goddesses

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fiona Rokkar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:49 pm
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I'm guessing it is(and if I'm wrong, I'm sorry). I'm currently working on a project but I need a list of the Egyptian gods and goddesses and what they rule over. I've looked at a few different websites and some of the information they give me isn't the same as what others give me. I'm not sure which information is correct so I was hoping someone here could help me out. Thanks ^^

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:03 am
Check out this link, it's the announcement and it has links to threads in this Guild which gives information on different Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your project xd  

Rennie`
Captain

Wealthy Informer

2,100 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Djedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:06 am
There were literally thousands of gods and goddesses in ancient Egypt, and unlike the Greek and Roman gods they could not be summed up into "god of _____" type roles. They were very complex personalities with inclinations and talents- much like people- who tended to be involved in certain spheres of influence, but were not restricted to them. That's probably why you're having so much trouble getting a definitive list. wink Also, different schools of thought will spell the names differently, so if you're encountering inconsistencies in spellings that is probably the reason why.

What sort of project are you working on? How many names do you need, and are there any particular areas of life or religion in which you're interested? I'm sure we can come up with a suitable list.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:59 am
Here is a link to a thread I posted in the Religious Tolerance Guild that lists most of the Egyptian Deities and a description on each. That should help ^.^  

King Robert Silvermyst

Jareth Lover 16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:26 pm
Djedi
There were literally thousands of gods and goddesses in ancient Egypt, and unlike the Greek and Roman gods they could not be summed up into "god of _____" type roles. They were very complex personalities with inclinations and talents- much like people- who tended to be involved in certain spheres of influence, but were not restricted to them. That's probably why you're having so much trouble getting a definitive list. wink Also, different schools of thought will spell the names differently, so if you're encountering inconsistencies in spellings that is probably the reason why.

What sort of project are you working on? How many names do you need, and are there any particular areas of life or religion in which you're interested? I'm sure we can come up with a suitable list.

Yes when you are considering Egyptian, Greek and Roman dieties there are thousands but what most people dont understand that most are really the same diety howerver the names have been changed. Egyptian dieties are said to be the origionals and the rest have been taken from them. If you want to get technical there are about 114, more or less, Ancient Egyptian Gods and Goddesses and they all have a position and most have some very interresting myths associated w/ them so if you would like to talk more...please, feel free to PM me. *i have a feeling that SOMEONE is going to get offended and think im being a know-it-all and probably quote me or PM me something fairly nasty but the thing is i do know what im talking about...most of the time +grin+*  
Religion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games